It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 49 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway: Takayuki Hammered Santoku
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:29 am 

Liver and onions. Never could stand that as a child.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:41 am 

all time favorite has got to be my dads teriyaki chicken. He's been making the sauce for as long as i can remember and its always a crowd pleaser.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:47 am 

Brussel sprouts and my mom made me eat them . . . with a mouthful of milk.

Today I like them though!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:09 am 

I remember far too many terrible meals consisting of over-cooked pork chops, jarred applesauce, and instant mashed potatoes. If only I could go back in time and explain to my mother that trichinosis was no longer a serious threat at the time, and maybe teach her to brine as well.

On the other hand I had a certain Aunt and Uncle who were die hard Catholics and thus had a massive family, and as such my Uncle knew how to make some pretty amazing meals for a large amount of people. Some of those holiday meals were incredible. Simple roasts and such, but very well done. These were my first experiences of food being made well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:31 am 

Easy one...Least favorite, cauliflower !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:20 am 

Ok, here is the question. What was your favorite or least favorite meal you were served when you were a child?

My least favorite was tuna casserole. Any variation of tuna and noodles. Bleh. Liver was better than that. Brrrrrrr.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:25 am 

Once a month my parents insisted that we eat one dinner that reminded me and my sister that there were many poor people who went to bed hungry. Those meals were deliberately sparse and unappealing and we always left the table a little hungry. But the next days dinner always had one of our favorite foods. At the time I hated the poor person's meal. As I've grown up I think about them as the most precious meals of my childhood.

melvin reichler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:36 am 

My mother used to make a Fall River Portuguese Linguica and Kale Soup that is my all time favorite comfort food. She learned it from my paternal Grandmother who cooked excellent Portuguese food even though she was French Canadian because she learned from her husband's mother, who we called "Vivu". I have since learned that this soup is what Caldo Verde became when it made it's way from Portugal (where it is pureed) through the Azores to Fall River, Massachusetts where my parents grew up. It is made with a cured pork shoulder sausage called Linguica (large, intact pieces of pork shoulder cured with nitrates, garlic and crushed red pepper and stuffed into pork casings). It also has potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, garlic, olive oil, pork or chicken stock and lots of kale. We always ate it with crusty French bread and good butter. My daughter is still a little too young for it but I can't wait to make it for her.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:04 am 

I loved my grandmother's wontons and potstickers. She would prepare everything like when she made her delicious Chinese tamales. She would spend all day or two days preparing the filling for the wontons and potstickers and wrapping them until she couldn't fit anymore in the fridge or freezer. Her Chinese tamales had sticky rice flavored with the fatty pork and Chinese sausage with various nuts softened from the fats and steaming. I was lucky if I ever found an egg yolk in one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:55 am 

My mom used to make huge vats of sauerkraut and she would let us pound it down barehanded everyday. Not sure how long it took but when it was ready she would make sauerbraten or labekase or schnitzel and IT ROCKED! I've got two young kids and they both eat their kraut.

Page 49 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 55  Next