It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:55 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for a Gyuto 210mm or 240mm
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:19 am 

Hello,

my name is David, i live in Germany and have been browsing through your website for quite some time now.

1. Are you right handed? Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Gyuto, Medium or Laser
3. What size knife are you looking for? 210 or 240
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Carbon
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Japanese
6. How much did you want to spend? 200-350$
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Yes

Maybe you guys want to comment on some of the thoughts i have on these knives i've choosen so far. I understand that all of these knives are probably great, but unfortunatly i can't get them all :P

Takeda Gyuto or Sasanoha AS: i am sure it is a good knife, but my feeling is that the Gyuto might be too tall, and the sasanoha to low. This is really the only reason i haven't ordered one yet.

Masakage Yuki: would have already gotten one if another handle/ferrule could be attached to it. Maybe this is possible? The geometry of the Masakage's generally seem very good.

Konosuke Fujiyama White#2: quite expensive for a White#2, but i like the simplicity of the blade design and the very nice looks of the Ebony handle. Excellent fit and finish.

Anryu Hammered Blue #2 with Bubinga Handle: seems also like a great choice, unfortunatly not available at the moment. Are there any plans to restock these in the near future? I like it a bit more than the Masakage Koishi (Kuroushi and Tsuchime may be a tad too much for me)

Kajihara Damascus: probably the least popular of the bunch, but it seems actually very nice. Not sure about the geometry of the blade though, as the flat spot of the blade seems very long.

Thanks for reading and helping making a choice!

David

Post subject: Re: Looking for a Gyuto 210mm or 240mm
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am 

Another popular choice is the Tanaka Sekiso Damascus. Very thin behind the edge, excellent edge retention, and the only gyuto I own at the moment :) I absolutely love it!! Plus its actually below your price range

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

I agree! I have a few of the Sekiso series from Tanaka. I have gotten to use/play with Kono's, Takedas, Anryu, Goko, etc and I usually come back to the Sekiso. Richmond Laser AS and a handful of other knives get some of the board time, but I usually grab for the Sekiso for 85% of the cutting tasks I do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:06 pm 

Definitely take a look at the Tanaka Sesiko. Best buy in a either 240 or 210 size. Great grind with a laser like edge. Good looking carbon Damascus blade. I also have two others on your list. The Kono Fuji White2 is an amazing knife. The best knife of the bunch. Worth the extra $s. Just about perfect all around! It runs abit short for a 240 so it is very nimble. Beautiful ebony handle and the blade grind is the best! The Anryu is another great choice. In the Masakage family so it will be similar to the Yuki. I like the rosewood handle. The hammered blade is a looker and functional. The hammering provides a firm grip if you pinch grip. Like the other two great grind and laser like edge with easy sharpening and good retention. The Anryu and Yuki are stainless clad the Kono and Tanaka are carbon clad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

aporias wrote:Masakage Yuki: would have already gotten one if another handle/ferrule could be attached to it. Maybe this is possible? The geometry of the Masakage's generally seem very good.

Absolutely another handle could be attached to it. Mark has a local woodworker that can do the work, and there are a few on this board that do custom handles. I'm one of them....but to be honest, I'm the last person I'd send anything to right now. :o I'm just buried right now.

Look in this subforum area:

knife-handle-makers-f34.html

Of those you listed as knives, they're all quite nice....including the Tanaka recommended by others.

You seem to hover around a carbon knife....whether that be stainless clad, or carbon clad....you seem to stick with carbon cutting edge. That in mind....I'd probably get the Yuki....but I could change my mind in 15 seconds.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

DAVID <> As Adam (and maybe others - I have no time to read in entirety) mentions, any handle can be replaced. Through CKTG just CLICK THIS. You can also do as Adam suggested as there is some SERIOUS talent around here. Handle makers for any taste, albeit intricate or simple.

Out of the knives you list, I haven't used them all so I can't comfortably suggest this one over that one, but I can say that the Anryu<--link has truly impressed the hell out of me; it's neck & neck with the Kanehiro AS<--link as my favorite middleweight at that price point. I don't have adequate time to reiterate my opinion, but I have written copiously about the Anryu's attributes & the knife is a stellar performer. Fantastically functional yet robust and durable grind, great edge retention (don't know how much that matters in your application), exquisite aesthetics... I'm running out of time.

Every knife you list is a winner... remember that.

Furthermore, the Tanaka<--link, at its price point, can be sent to TAZ575 for a full rework, that could stay within the budget you alot with your knife selection. TAZ can do a professional thinning to the Tanaka's grind while installing a custom handle that would be fabricated to your specs. TAZ likes playing with color if you dig, but he can stay conventional, as well. CLICK this blue to check him out.<--link

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:34 pm 

aporias wrote:
Kajihara Damascus: probably the least popular of the bunch, but it seems actually very nice. Not sure about the geometry of the blade though, as the flat spot of the blade seems very long.

You have probably run into my photos of this knife here: kajihara-damascus-210mm-gyuto-t4953.html

I'm adding a post to that thread that shows the blade profile more clearly. My example is more of a continuous curve from tip to heel, with a relatively small area of board contact at any one time. The tip is not very tall, so if rocking the blade you cannot get over tall ingredients as the tip will dig in. I haven't had problems with ingredients not getting cut all the way through, but if you want either more sweep or a longer flat this may not be the right knife. I haven't handled the others on your list to say comparatively, but based on the knives I have handled this is probably toward the heavier end of medium thickness for a wa-handled gyuto.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:10 pm 

aporias wrote:....Kajihara Damascus: probably the least popular of the bunch, but it seems actually very nice. Not sure about the geometry of the blade though, as the flat spot of the blade seems very long.

It's not that it's not popular, the Kajihara Damascus is just very new to the site so few have probably used one yet. For that reason it will be harder to find reviews and information for it.
estayton gave a good review of the knife.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:55 pm 

It is also worth noting if you go the Kajihara route that the D-shaped/octagonal knives have very different blade profiles. The octagonal ones have a more upswept tip and look better for rocking.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:09 pm 

Thanks for your very insightfull comments so far! I would not have expected so many detailed answers that fast. Will keep you posted about my final decision!

P.S. Nobody recommended a Takeda so far, strange!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next