It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:41 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 120mm or 150mm Konosuke HD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:06 am 

Does anyone have any experience and/or opinions of either size of this knife? The gyuto gets amazing reviews, curious about the petty. Some people say the gyuto is too light, can't imagine how light the petty is then.

Post subject: Re: 120mm or 150mm Konosuke HD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

15 <> I own the HD120 Petty <--link, and can say that it is scalpel-like. It is very light, very thin & very capable of scalpel-like edges. It is a very shallow petty, as is the 150, that is similar to a steak knife, in profile. I do not care in the least for said design as a petty. I purchased my 120 as a parer, but had found it too large for my originally intended application though I do like it to turn large artichokes. I only pull it out for small fruit work though it gets used for more once it's out. It is a very precise tool; too precise for my liking in a utility knife. I prefer a 150mm w/some height as a petty, like the KanehiroG3<--link, but that depends on what you're looking for; a petty or a parer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:27 pm 

Thanks for the input. I was curious about the low profile and whether or not my knuckles would hit the cutting board. I would use it for smaller vegetables and meats and breaking down chickens and whatever else.

I am going with the Shun parer as, like you said, the 120 is too big to be a parer. I figure anything vegetables I need to hold in my hands will be good for the parer and anything on the cutting board will be good for the petty.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:15 pm 

If your looking for a petty for board work then your looking for a taller petty as Mel alluded to. The Kono has to low a profile for that application. I have a slightly tall(31mm) 150mm petty and it works well for breaking down chickens and small slicing and dicing jobs on the board. I think the Kanehiro Ginsan is 34mm tall.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]