It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:11 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shapton glass grit choice between 320 and 4k
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:37 pm 

I have a shapton glass 320 bench stone. The next Shapton glass bench stone I have in grit progression is a 4k. I have other stones to cover the grits between them but I want a Shapton glass between these two. It seems 1k is the natural choice. But, that may not be the best choice for having only one Shapton glass stone between 320 and 4k. It seems to me there is less difference in how fast steel is removed whan going from 1k to 2k or 4k, etc. But the steel removal amount between 1k and 500 is drastic. I have every grit Shapton glass from 500 to 16k for the EP. I wanted to remove quite a bit of steel on a knife but I also wanted to use as high a grit as I could. I started with the 4k which I knew was too high but I started there anyway out of curiousity. Then I went to the 2k. Still not fast enough. THen the 1k stone. A bit faster but still slow for what I wanted. But the 500 grit removed steel fast. It seems that at the 1k and higher mark there is less difference between the stones. So, after the 320 grit I could get a 1k but, if there is little difference between the 1k and 2k I may be able to live with a 320 to 2k jump. That progression would put me closer to the 4k and I'm thinking a 1k to 4k jump may be too big. So, If I were to buy a stone between the 320 and 4k which grit would be the best choice if I only wanted one stone? Or, does anyone think there should be 2 stones between the 320 and 4k? I always would rather have more stones and small jumps in grit but obviously I'm trying to save $. Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Shapton glass grit choice between 320 and 4k
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jack, I would start with the Shapton GS 1K stone for a 320/1K/4K progression. I have no issues at all going from 1K to 4K on the EP. If you find you want to fill things in later, then spend the $$ and get the 2K.

320 to 2K is too big a jump IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:34 pm 

Exactly what Steve said.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:45 am 

jackknifeh wrote:It seems to me there is less difference in how fast steel is removed whan going from 1k to 2k or 4k, etc. But the steel removal amount between 1k and 500 is drastic.

You're on the right track, but it's not all about steel removal. Yes all stones remove some metal, but a low grit stone is really where you are trying to remove metal to set your edge. The main purpose of the following stones are to remove the deep scratches from the previous stone to take your edge to a higher refinement. There is a bigger difference between particles sizes at the low end than there is at the high end. Thus, smaller jumps on the low end really help with removing scratches more efficiently.

IMO, The jump from 500-2K would work and give you a nice toothy edge. However, if you want a more refined edge you will spend a lot more time on a 2K than you would on a 1K to completely remove the scratches from the 500. In the end I think it depends more on the type of edge you prefer than one stone is always better than the other.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:37 pm 

+2 to what Steve said.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]