It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 44 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway: Takayuki Hammered Santoku
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:01 pm 

Kung pow chicken was awesome. Really did not like zucinni.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:06 pm 

My moms fried chicken. I can stil remember those meals.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:17 pm 

Frickadillys- a family handed down recipe of seasoned hamburger with bread, browned and then baked in a casserole of mushroom soup. nothing exceptional, but a remembered taste!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:03 pm 

I always loved my mom's spaghetti.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:21 pm 

Least favorite-- Mother's green beans
most favorite--homemade baked macaroni and cheese!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:06 pm 

I've read through most of the topic, honestly I'm a little surprised because when I think "the good, the bad, and the ugly" I was expecting "the ugly" to be something utterly repulsive like brussel sprouts and maraschino cherries or garlic bread w/ raspberry jam, hahaha...ew.

Anyway, I couldn't name just a few "favorites" so here's a list.

Soup: French Onion, Lobster Bisque, Spinach Soup.
Salad: Caesar ,[too predictable?] Spring Mix w/ Goat Cheese Cakes, Cranberries/Candied Walnuts/Poached Pears, and Spinach Salad with grilled chicken.
Fruit: Clementines, Blood Oranges, Raspberries, Cherries, Banana's
Starch & Veg: Potato Au Gratin, Corn [on the cob], Sweet Potato Casserole, Spinach, Sauteed Onions or Shallots, or Mushrooms.
Dessert: Lemon Meringue Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Creme Brulee, Amaretto Souffles, Sourdough Cookies, Homemade French Vanilla Ice cream.
Breakfast: Eggs Benedict, Crab Cakes Benedict, Belgian Waffles [bonus points if ala mode], Sausage/Biscuts w/ Gravy.
Lunch: Salads, Tuna Melt, Reuben. [Rye is my favorite bread.]
Dinner: A nice steak or casserole.

You should be salivating by now, yeah?

But yeah, I was born into a family with pretty competent kitchen skills. [YAY!]

Mom made incredible casseroles, her spinach soup is the best I've ever had and her stroganoff's are superb. Also, every Thanksgiving/Christmas...Pumpkin pies out the wazoo.

Dad was a grill guy and not a bad cook to boot either. Wings, Burgers, Ribs, Chicken, always finger licking good.

I'd say my palette has improved since I started cooking professionally, I used to be really picky but those days are long gone.

But yeah...

Lima Beans, Canned cranberries, beets, and bean sprouts. NTY.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:08 pm 

My early life was marked by such meals as mac and cheese with hot dogs or ground beef. That meal was probably my favourite at the time; being a young Iowan boy it was the height of luxury. Just before 7th grade however we moved to upstate New York. This was a much more culturally diverse area. Both my parents were back in school and an interesting parallel occurred as we all tried to make new friends. At the end of the day we would all gather around the table and discuss the headway we had made. Food entered here as my parents began trying out the cuisines of their new friends. My favourite was bibimbap, a Korean dish which seemed to mirror the cultural diversity of our new home in its many constituent ingredients, all mixed together to create something entirely new, and entirely delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:45 pm 

Favorites were the tamales my Dad cooked -- all from scratch. As far as I remember it was the only thing he cooked and the only Mexican dish we ate. But they were delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 pm 

my least favorite had to be chitterlings.every year around thanksgiving my grandmother would make them . holy cow do they stink!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:05 pm 

Favorite was spaghetti with chunks of sausage that contained caraway seeds. YUMMY!!!

Although I love cranberry juice and dried cranberries. I disliked canned cranberry sauce very much. It contaminated my Thanksgiving dinner way to many times!!!

Page 44 of 55 [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 55  Next