It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: 180 bamboo for ep
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:55 pm 

I just ordered the 180 bamboo and the shapton 4k & a 20x loupe. Hope it gets here quick. Does anyone have any comments on the 180 bamboo stone the 150 is recommended a bunch but it was out of stock

Post subject: Re: 180 bamboo for ep
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:02 pm 

I got the Bamboo 180 last summer when the 150 was out of stock.
I use it to reprofile and remove/repair dings. It is a very fast cutter that feels a bit gritty.
Use a light touch as it will move metal.
When the 150 became recently became available I got one.
I have only used it a couple of time to repair a friend's Artifex and take a couple of dings out of my
Masamoto KS caused by an errant bone in a strip steak. It seems harder and smoother then the 180. I can't tell if it cuts faster.

Enjoy the 180.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:43 pm 

Have you ever used the ep120 how does it compare to the 180 I hope the 180 will last a long time

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:51 pm 

Hi
Yes I have used the EP 120. It caused me a lot of grief until I found alternatives. I have one in my kit that I will gladly send you just to be rid of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:34 pm 

I don't like the 120 it wears out fast for the amount of.. metal it removes and its slow cutting i am hoping tgthe 180 cuts better and wears slower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:43 pm 

The Bamboo 180 is not a stone you will use all the time.
It moves metal but it does dish some.
It needs to be flattened to get max performance.
If you don't have a way to flatten your stones you should get the inexpensive 140 flattening plate Mark sells. If you plan to strop get the stone holder, plate, strop kit.
Flat stones, the angle cube/drill stop and stropping helped me to take my edges to the next level.
You can't get sharp edges repeatedly without flat stones and a way to maintain a constant angle when moving between stones.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:22 am 

Yes I have used the EP 120. It caused me a lot of grief until I found alternatives. I have one in my kit that I will gladly send you just to be rid of it.
If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did the 120 cause you grief? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:23 pm 

It cut very slowly,dished and loaded up quickly.
When first starting with the Edge Pro these shortcomings caused me to become frustrated with the system.
I'll also add that about the time I transitioned to Chosera, Shapton GS and Nubatama stones, I began to add flattening and angle checks to my sharpening regimen.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]