It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:31 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Miyabi knives
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:19 pm 

lol, yep, same channel I saw them on as well.

Please keep in mind that sushi is one of the many, MANY subjects I am ignorant on (other than it is usually raw and I like it) so my suggestion might not mean much... however given that I am fairly ignorant I will give it anyway... lol

I would say if you don't have much money but want a decent knife for stuff like what he does on the "How To Make Sushi" channel, buy a Fujiwara FKM or Tojiro DP knife. I would probably lean towards the thinner Fujiwara FKMs, as I think that would help with the sushi. Remember, the fit and finish on the Tojiro DPs and Fujiwara FKMs will not be at the same level as what the Mayabi knives probably are, and most certainly not to the same level of some of the more expensive Japanese knives. However, keep in mind that with Tojiro DP and Fujiwara you are getting very good performing knives pretty inexpensively. You could probably even work up a set of knives for the same price as a single more expensive Japanese knife. Think of them as kind of the family sedan. It is reliable and gets you where you need to go, it just isn't as fast, flashy, or expensive as the neighbor's sports car. ;)

With these type of knives you can have fun with making the sushi, and as you learn (and save more money ;) ) you can grow into better sushi knives. The Fujiwara or Tojiro would just be a way to start without breaking the bank. The more expensive sports car can come later. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:45 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8rg71Ea ... 3J8hzxc2zQ

In this video he states Miyabi sent him the knives and cutting board, so in essence he's a paid spokesmen.

He is using their top line models, so for the price you can do MUCH better here. You can get twice as many knives if you where so inclined on this sit for the same price. They're good knives, but very over priced.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:52 pm 

A slightly off-topic point but he doesn't seem to use a yangiba. It would be a specialized purchase which might look unfamiliar to home viewers, but I just thought it was curious.

The sharpest knives in the world for sushi prep, if that even makes sense as a statement, surely must include a yanagiba somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:07 pm 

I don't know that I have ever seen him break down a fish either. lol I have only watched a few vids on the channel though so might have done it at some time or other.

But yes, he uses nothing single bevel that I have seen, and I'm not sure he really does anything but kind of "designer" sushi... I dunno if that is an actual thing but it's what I'm calling it anyway. lol And to be completely fair to the guy, he was upfront about not buying the knives himself. If I got a set of free knives, I'd use 'em too. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:20 pm 

Haha, true enough. As would I. And they do look good on camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 am 

Currently i've used and bought the 7000mcd line and the 7000pro line , the are very scharp ootb but annoying to sharpen . The have a very good edge retention and a very nice fit and finish . Yet i still rather take my aogami #2and as over them as they cost only a fraction of the miyabi , easier to sharpen and take An even scarier edge and hold IT about as long as the miyabi

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2