It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:08 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Which gyuto/santuko to buy?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:57 am 

See the decision is done, but I'd just throw in $0.02;
I got Tojiro Santoku and Tojiro DP Gyuto 210mm from CKTG. In addition I got (present) a MAC Gyuto 210 mm (similar, slightly lighter, rounded but sharpened tip).

My wife (smaller hands) just love the santoku (and keeps grabbing this or the paring knife from MAC).
I keep picking one of the Gyutos for most things I do.

We don't have a lot of space, no enormous cutting boards, no chef skills etc.
But I really enjoy both the Tojiro (has bolster) and MAC (a bit lighter, thinner, and the rounded tip makes pull cuts feel better in some way).

/Henrik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:41 pm 

Enjoyed reading through this thread . . . I wanted to provide some reassurance regarding your decision against purchasing the Hammer Stahl. I don't have any experience with this particular brand, I do own a 10" Gunter Wilhelm chef's knife and upon going to the Hammer Stahl website I realized they are probably brothers, because their knives are almost identical!

Don't get me wrong, my Wilhelm is a BEAUTIFUL knife and holds a very sharp and durable edge (440 "Ice Hardened" Stainless), but it is heavy and the handle is large and uncomfortable. The edges of the handle are more square than rounded and thinking about using this knife for an extended period just sounds like a forearm workout.

My brother (a trained Chef and owner of Central Park Fusion Cusine [In Hot Springs, AR]) also tried the Wilhelm several years ago and now uses Japanese knives for his daily use.

I cannot speak to the choice you made, but staying away from the Stahl (especially since you are small) is probably the right thing to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:21 pm 

Hey what's up? ? I just wanted to share with you all I got a Tojiro Shirogami Santoku 165mm . This knife is so sweet I use it as my work horse knife for work(I'm a chef). I also striped the lacker finish and gave it a mustard patina. Anyways to sum it up this knife is freaking great and it was only 50 bucks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve O,

I'm glad you like it. :)

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2