It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:28 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: How to improve my edges using my King Stones
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:51 pm 

Well now THERE'S a question that'll get you a different answer from everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:57 am 
Site Admin

Nicolay3535 wrote:Thanks everyone for the suggestions my next purchase will be for some nice stones and a good piece of leather to add to my stroping tools which are in the mail. Any recommendations on 3 good stones to work through before stroping would be great. I hear great things about the Shaptons but they seem a but pricey, any other brands you guys recomend on the more affordable side???

We sell a ton of stones and this set is our best selling 3 stone set:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:42 am 

I really like Mark's 3 stone suggestion. Personally I would buy a balsa strop and 1 micron compound; HA BC, HA Diamond, or Ken's CBN. For me it restores an edge long enough to stay off the stones for a long time before going back to a stone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:52 am 

"While the Shapton 30K may seem expensive, you will save money on stropping pastes and sprays,..."

I just added 5 of Ken's CBN sprays to my cart, 12 balsa strops, and 1 HA strop base and the total came to 366.05. If the Shapton 30K stone is $360 how long would someone need to use it to save money over stropping pastes or sprays?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:20 pm 

Just got my balsa and chromium oxide along with diamond plate to flatten my stones today. What can I say about Mark's shipping its the best not just in the biz but amongst all companies on the net. Just took my moritaka trough the motions 1k king, 4k shapton glass (belongs to one of my cooks), 6k king, and 8k shapton glass, then on the balsa with the chromium oxide and wow best edge I've ever gotten in my 16 years of cooking. Thanks Mark your the best. Monday I'll be ordering a few new stones to replace my kings, can't wait. Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:33 am 
Site Admin

I'm really glad you got a sharp knife out of your new sharpening routine! :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:59 am 

Best edge as in sharpest? Or best edge as in the quality of the sharpening that you were able to perform?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:38 am 

Best edge as in sharpest? Or best edge as in the quality of the sharpening that you were able to perform?

It just felt really clean, the way the blade worked through food such as tomatoes, onions, potatoes it was very clean and precise and most of all durable. Push cuts where effortless and to be honest i didn't have to work the stones nearly as long. I'll be getting my own set of shaptons next week so i can't wait to do this to all my knives. My kings were great but i could feel the difference with the shaptons. Now the only problem is do i get the glass or the pro's???

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:02 pm 

The reason I asked is because sometimes you can be doing sub-par stone work and correcting the faults with a strop. As long as the edge is wiping away hair and push cutting news print by the finish of a 6-8k stone then you are probably doing pretty well. If the edge is only becoming super sharp because of stropping then you need to work with the stones more.

Another clue is that you consider your edge to now be more durable, this to me says you had burrs and debris on the edge after sharpening that was causing edge failure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:33 am 

Yeah you could be right, I'd usually hone on a ceramic steel after using stones and I do feel that that left the edges a bit toothy or rough. I worked a busy shift today with only my moritaka and my deba (the deba only to break down 6 snappers) and even after slicing over 100 cuts of meat on a poly board after a gentle stroping before putting my knife away it was still shaving sharp, I'm very happy.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2