It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Good Japanese chef knife around $130.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

My husband and I are looking for a good Japanese chef Knives. Price range to $130. We would like stainless steel because of the maintenance.
We are home cooks with cutting skills. We need the help because so many knives can be overwhelming.

Thank you,

Anay

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Good Japanese chef knife around $130.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:19 pm 

Greetings Anay,

You have provided some of the information we need to help you make a solid knife choice. There are a few more questions that it would be good to have your answers to. I have filled in what I assume are your answers in some cases.

1. Are you right handed? (assuming yes)
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) (assuming a chef's knife/gyuto)
3. What size knife are you looking for? (assuming 210 or 240mm)
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? (Stainless)
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
6. How much did you want to spend? ($130)
7. Do you know how to sharpen?

I think the length and the handle type will be important things to decide on, or at least to let us know what your current thoughts are. And are you looking for a single knife? or one for each of you?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Anay - also, what knives do you both currently use? Any likes/dislikes about them? Tell us a little about your cutting style and what you prep in the kitchen. The more info the better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

This would be a solid choice below your price point. If you give us some more info we can give you more suggeestions.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:18 pm 

For right around your budget there is also the Tojiro DP 3 piece set: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro3pcset.html

It has the 210mm gyuto (chef's knife), a 6" utility knife, and a paring knife. With $139 you've just outfitted your kitchen with just about every knife a "normal" home cook would need.

But yeah, as everyone else has said, with more info we can fine tune our suggestions to help you find a knife that will meet your expectations of what a Japanese knife should be. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:08 am 
Site Admin

1. Are you right handed? Right handed
2. What type of knife are you interested in : gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 210 or 240mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Stainless
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? western or Japanese
6. How much did you want to spend? ($130)
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Not really. Only used a sharpening steel.
I would be using it as a go to knives for chopping vegetables and cutting meats. Our present knives are very old (10 years) sabatier.
I did see your recommendation the Tojiro Dp Gyuto and I also saw the Shun Classic 8"
Which would be better or what would be the difference besides the price?

Thanks you for the help.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:43 pm 

The Shun is going to have better fit and finish and it will be a prettier knife to look at overall. Both knives use the same steel and both should be fairly similar in performance. That is one of the reasons people like Tojiro DP knives. For the money they are excellent performers. They don't buy them 'cause they're pretty. lol I have also read more complaints about Shuns being chippy than I have Tojiro DP, however I have no clue how these people were using them. For all I know they could be people than can crack an anvil... lol

I personally own a Tojiro DP 210mm gyuto, so I can say it is a nice knife. Don't expect it to be absolutely perfect (mine has a few imperfections in the handle, a lot of them do), but do expect it to work VERY well out of the box.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:57 pm 

Oh yeah! If you want a looker that would put the Shun to shame, this knife would do it: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy210.html

A little over your budget, yes, however it has excellent stainless steel (better than the Shun or Tojiro), has a gorgeous finish, and I imagine would run circles around the Shun and Tojiro as well. At least in my mind it would perform better... then again I'd buy that particular knife for its looks alone. Call me shallow. :P lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:56 pm 

I'm hesistant to recommend it per-se as I haven't used one, but a Tanaka Ginsan is within budget, and quite pleasing to a different aesthetic. Perhaps worth considering if you wanted a Japanese-style wa handle such as on the Sakai Takayuki that DefMunky suggests, but within budget. The steel is highly regarded as well: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagi21gy.html

However, if you are interested in the Tojiro or the Shun, and if appearance isn't a big issue, the Tojiro is definitely the better deal. Either will do the job, and it isn't necessary to overthink the purchase. Given the knives you are considering you can't really go wrong, it is just a question of what matters to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

A couple different options:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmgy21.html

The Fujiwara is a great introduction....stainless, easy enough to sharpen.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suisingyuto2.html

The Suisin won't perform all that much better than the Fujiwara, but it's got slightly better F&F and a different look.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next