It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Strop buying advice / recommendation needed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:07 pm 

First question...
What size is best?  Is bigger better?
3 by 8 or 3 by 11

Second question...
What strop base?  
Universal stone holder with 140 grit diamond plate (3 by 8)
 Richmond strop base (3 by 11)
Hand America strop base (3 by 11)

Third question
What strops?
Horse
Leather
Nano cloth
Kangaroo
Balsa
Felt

Fourth question.... 
I want to try one product?  (when I say product I mean a paste or spray or something like that)

This is for kitchen knives. I understand that I need to buy more then one type of strop (such as 2 horse 1 kangaroo). I do not have a set budget.  I just don't want to buy it twice.  I hate buying something cheaper to save $$$ and then next year buying the better one.

Thanks

El

Post subject: Re: Strop buying advice / recommendation needed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:38 pm 

You don't need more than one strop... you don't even really need a strop... I always suggest getting at least one, but it isn't needed. ;)

As far as size, length can help with longer knives but you can adjust your technique and either will work fine. If you have a 3x8 flattening plate already, get the 3x8 strops. If you need a flattening stone anyway, go with the 3x8. If you are starting clean, I like the looks of the 3x11 but the 3x8 will do the exact same thing all day long. You just have more room to draw is all.

I'd go with maybe around a 1 micron spray (I'm not too anal about this... some are lol) and balsa paired with bare leather of some sort. Probably cow or horse butt. Kangaroo I think works best with a fine compound or spray. Cow or horse butt should do fine bare.

Or just get the balsa and spray and finish on newsprint. Any of it will help to polish up and refine the edge. ;)

I don't really see you having to buy something better, but you might eventually want to add to it later. It isn't called "getting deeper into the rabbit hole" for nothing. lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:48 pm 

I would get the larger balsa strop with magnetic base.http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bamapa.html you can stick this on a dmt or atoma plate if you have one. If you don't it will obviously stick to anything metal.
I would get a CBN product like this http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bocapa1mi.html or something similar from kens line. I like this combo very much. This is really all you need until you fall further and further down the rabbit hole. If you want to add some leather, I would just start with any of the cheaper ones with magnetic backing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:09 am 

If you don't have a plate or stone holder this is a great set to start with. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/stsetwiunhob.html If you have a plate and stone holder just get some strops.
CBN for the balsa as Red suggested and your ready to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:40 am 

I just purchased the set that Jeff b suggested , I am going to use the diamond plate to lap/flatten my EP Shapton glass stones. I am learning to strop and about to purchase some compounds. One thing I did notice when I purchased my set is that the strops hoth overhang the plate by 1/8" or so, should they be exact as the plate? I stroppd on the leather and the next day it seemed it was curled up on each side..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:16 am 

it doesent need to be exact on the plate, u don't really need all the surface area u have to do a good job. Define curled up? Like how badly? seems odd that it would curl if only hangs off by 1/8". did it get wet?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:25 am 

It was flat day one the next day each side was curled up, weird. did not get wet. I did not put i on the magnet when I left it overnight, I did leave it on last night and just checked it and funny thing it is now flat again...strange

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:50 am 

You can easily cut it down if you don't like the overhang. Straightedge and a razor knife.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]