It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: >> Teruyasu 240 Gyuto <<
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

I gotta say, this 240 Teruyasu<--link is awe inspiring... just awesome. In over two decades of professional food service I’ve never cut with anything like it, and I never imagined something could flow through product so effortlessly, so fluidly, so organically.

The W#1 at this high hardness exhibits a whole new set of characteristics... new to me, at least. I’m sincerely awestruck. It’s exhibiting edge retention like I would had never imagined out of W#1. It’s taken over a month of hard holiday use, and I still haven’t changed the bevels! That’s unheard of for me, but it’s that good OOTB. All I’ve been doing is touching up to the shoulders with a 2k & this thing performs. It’s going to absolutely floor me when I bring it up to a high grit finish... this I know. It sharpens so well... so effortlessly.. so keenly.

The website picture does not really show the exposed machi, but I’m a strong proponent for this classical presentation. This one is a very unique transition from machi to blade & the length it allows fits me perfectly. I capture it below.

The grind is impeccable on this knife. Truly masterful artistry. The san-mai spine has a consistency to its taper I have only seen on my Masamoto KS. Working down the blade face, the slick non-stick Nashiji finish resides over the slightest of hammer indentations in which truly exacerbates the rustic impression this knife makes while still retaining the exquisitely distinguished aesthetic one might expect from a knife at this price point. Continuing down the face, transitioning out of the Nashiji into the Kasumi stainless down to the cladding line, the convexing is visually apparent and particularly distinct at the tip 1/3.

The Wa is exactly the way I like them; unpretentious and with a slight taper.

Kanji is engraved.

I still can’t believe how this things cuts through food. This knife has an old soul...

Post subject: Re: >> Teruyasu 240 Gyuto <<
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:33 am 

Excellent review! Sounds like a real performer. Really digging the look of the exposed machi too.

I love how you articulate your knowledge and experiences when you post.
More reviews please :!:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:42 am 
Site Admin

The sword smiths are always the bad ass blacksmiths.

This is the knife Melampus is talking about: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/funa24gyocha.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:56 pm 

Mel --> You got an extra 5 bills I can borrow? ;) Sweet!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:00 pm 

Excellent review and great pictures. A bit above my price bracket, but I'd love to get my hands on one of them some day. The nashiji finish is particularly attractive, performance aside.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:11 pm 

The 150 petty is less than $150. I don't need one, but now that seems like a bargain..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:21 pm 

Your right Red, I might have one of those petties!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:21 am 

Wow! What an elegeant review! It is obvious Mel has a great writing style and an excellent command of the English language.
Just a guess...Melampus is college educated, OR he has been lurking around the knife forums so long he has absorbed all this technical knowledge like a SPONGE :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

CGAURIN <> Thank you, for your complimentary sentiment, and I am trying to find the time to do reviews. I am not at all pleased with this "review" for the Forum, as I structured it as the CKTG website review. I only posted it here because I want as many people as possible as quickly as possible to know about this awesome piece of history... the 240 Gyuto is Mecca. And from speaking with KNIFEFANATIC, the 210 Gyuto is, as well.

As for the Machi, this is a MASSIVE PET PEEVE OF MINE. As I understand, all the nitwits used to yo-handled cutlery that have complained to CKTG over the years about the exposed Machi, assuming it was a mistake - aka poor installation, had caused CKTG to request the Japanese houses to install the machi deep into the Wa. THIS INSTALLATION INFURIATES ME. :evil: I have a few, as described, but I order all my knives with the machi exposed. Because it looks cool? NO! Because it is the intended design; intended for purpose. In my four-walled world, function trumps form 100% of the time. I have issues with bling although 4-KNIVES handles make me fight, FiGhT, FIGHT myself... but I digress.. as is my way. :? There are a few reasons, that I know of, BUT the one I care about is FIT. A large percentage of the time, I employ a pinch grip. When the mach is installed deep in the Wa it shortens overall length, but most pertinently, it shortens the length between choil & ferrule. Some knives' designs inherently vary regarding this metric, but this length is paramount in where the inside of the first knuckle rests upon the choil, in a pinch grip. When the machi is hidden & the choil to ferrule gets cramped up... guess what.?! IT CRAMPS MY DAMN GRIP, squashing my forefinger into an irrelative amount of space for the overall presentation. Just another American bastardization of Eastern principle that predates our collective society. I have no problem with modification for the better, but oh no - I just introduced preference - one man's trash is anothers treasure... and unfortunately for me, a loyal Patriot, common day treasure is ghetto fabulous.. aka - aesthetics or form over function.

Any 240 &/or under, I order with the machi exposed. Takes longer & costs more for the handle job, but well worth the premium, to me. Larger Gyutos, I find it doesn't bother me as much. On 270's, I find myself focusing more grip to the handle to compensate the blade heavy balance. And furthermore, while it may seem I am talking specifically about Gyutos, I am speaking about all styles. Particularly, on Sujis & Yanis, I find myself having to be inordinately vigilant in staying conscious of my forefinger and the heel. The short heel of these designs, have the potential to cut much more readily with a cramped forefinger than if you had the space the Machi allows... for me, at least. BUT I am willing to bet, this is a universal truth that is either not realized, not vocalized, or both.

JEFF <> You know I'm just blue-collar. :P I would give if I could. I would.

ESTAYTON <> I'm glad you enjoyed the review & pictures. They were both cursory, and neither respects Teruyasu-San commensurately; the review rushed, the photos just my iPhone (as all my are). I wish I could make the time to pull out my high-res SLR, and to make written notes, rather than mental, in my work day. Then to sit down with my dog & write a formal review on all my knives and those I have been blessed to test. Just another one of my failures. I will try harder.

RED & JEFF <> I can't speak about this knife in the petty design as just because I feel this way about the Gyuto does not mean I feel the same about the whole line, but I can't imagine the soul that is imparted upon the knife I've been honored with would not carry through the other designs. Specifically, I mean I can't comment on traits like a 210 Kohetsu Gyuto as to the 240; the 210 is a absurdly thin, but I have heard the 240 actually has some substance. I can only comment on what I know.
{SIDE NOTE: I am only human... a very opinionated one, at that. Even when I think I may know something, I may not. Case in point, was my recent misrepresentation of the KikuichiTKC having an integral bolster. I was educated by LUCA & KALAEB that it, in fact, does not. In my defense, it is a faux integral bolster so upon a cursory inspection it looks integral, but I was wrong. I don't know why I brought this up, but I feel, for whatever reason, it's worth mention}

PHYLLYSCO <> Although I appreciate your gratuitous commentary, let's not get outta control. http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1948 offers a synopsis of me. I'm a high-school drop-out, that took a job in food service at 13, and went full-time at 14 when I left the house I grew up in. My technical knowledge is drawn predominantly upon a long career in professional food service while not discounting the intricacies of Japanese cutlery that I have gleaned from Gurus on this & other Forums like BDL, CKTG, ADAMMARR, KNIFEFANATIC, GATOR, TAZ, etc. (please do not be slighted by not being listed - this is fresh off the cuff). While my writing style does typify my personality, anomalous, my command of the language IS quite poor. A college professor would cringe at my grammar.

As for lurking in the shadows, not my style... unless I'm stalking something(one).. hunting [the same].

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:50 pm 

Mel <> On the 240 Teruyasu, what is the length between choil & ferrule? Also, what are your preferred min and max distances?

Definitely will be something I will consider on my next knife.

Page 1 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next