It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:55 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: deba
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hey mark

My girlfriend just received a promotion at work and she will be breaking down proteins now for the restaurant where she works. Therefore she is in the market for a deba knife.

She is left handed and we aren't looking to spend more than 300 dollars. Do you have any suggestions for us? Thanks

Dan

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: deba
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:26 pm 

I'm assuming fish. Is this all? Could you answer what proteins specifically including which type of fish? This will help with the size recommendation and also is she right handed or left handed?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

This is a really nice one and it's left handled:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagide21leha.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

DAN <> You're going to be extremely limited in left-handed single-bevels, and Kaneshige is a premier knife house.

Back to the ambiguity of your e-mail. What types of protein because it sounds like you're talking meat & poultry? A deba is designed to process fish although I'll admit I find myself using them on birds 8 times out of 10 over a Honesuki. I'm not saying you weren't aware, but many look at it & think its a cleaver. I guess Red & I would had expected to hear you say, "your girlfriend will be breaking down all the fish"... not protein.

Anyhow, Mark did suggest you a nice one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:25 pm 

Yea sorry for the ambiguity. She has a great knife for breaking down meat and fish that comes in a broken down form I.e tuna. She needs the deba for breaking down whole fishies! No way anybody could have known that from my email. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:50 pm 

That clears it up some. Sorry I read over the fact that she is left handed in the first post. It looks like 210mm is the smallest deba offered here for a lefty. I guess my question is still what kind of fish? Just want to make sure you are sizing it correctly. If it's something like tilapia, 210 is a bit much. I only have experience with 165mm and when I bought it I was unsure between that and the 180. Melampus steered me towards the 165 which was appropriate for the fish I am using it on. I just want to make sure you get the appropriate size as well . You mention tuna, but state that it is broken down already...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:06 am 

It's mostly going to be used on salmon and halibut.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:10 pm 

Those fish are plenty big enough. The one that was recommended will work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

I noticed the one recommended is OOS. Don't know if they bought it or not. Another option might be the Moritaka 180 Deba: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritakadeba1.html. It's got a 50/50 grind instead of being a single bevel design.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

CHEF DAN <> Now knowing what she’s cleaning, I’ll apparently be the first to recommend a Mioroshi Deba. It will behoove her, depending on size of the Halibut & to a lesser extent the Salmon, to have some length & a 210/240 Deba can get hefty… and possibly clumsy for her. The Mioroshi allows an effective compromise, and will skin & portion a whole lot better than a typical Hon-Deba of which I wouldn’t even use in said application.

Like I said before, the left hand bevel causes an issue. Looking for a 50/50 grind is suggested. I think Steve suggested the 50/50 Moritaka Hon-Deba. I’ll proffer the Takeda<--link. I have not used this Takeda, but it suits her needs. I have used his AS, and it’s magical. That brings us to price point as you never mentioned a target. The Takeda’s not cheap & it’s a Wa which you never mentioned preference.

I own, use, and recommend the Yo-handled “mioroshi” in the 210 Tojiro DP<--link. Thing is a salmon slayer. It would be great on a lot of different species. It might be small for some monster halibut, but I doubt she’ll be dealing with that. The 240<--link gets a bit thicker & heavier IIRC, but in a Professional kitchen I’m a strong advocate for either of these knives. The grind is beastly durable; you will not experience the taboo VG-10 chipping on it. It’s also extremely competitively priced in the mid to low hundreds.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next