It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: confused about angle cube readings
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:10 pm 

I picked up an angle cube recently and went to use it this morning with my EP Apex and it left me scratching my head. I followed Rookie's procedure on the video by zeroing it out on the blade table then with my finishing stone in the holder and laying on the table checked the angle on the top of the bar and also on the top of the stone. The EP was set on the bottom of the 18deg dot, but the cube was showing 13.5 or 14 deg. I double checked everything to ensure the bar was all the way in etc, and the info was the same. Has anyone else seen this discrepancy, it may not seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I sharpen all my good knives on the 15deg dot so if the dots are really off that much that means I've been sharpening all my knives at around 10.5 or 11. Am I missing something here?

Post subject: Re: confused about angle cube readings
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:15 pm 

The dots on the riser bar are just a guide line reference.
The angle cube gives you the reality.
If you have a new thick stone, the actual angle will be lower angle than an older,thinner stone.
The good thing about the angle cube is that you can now set your angles precisely.
To be exact in your angle, you also need to account for the angle of the knife as well.
Henkles & Wustof are 4° thick knives. Most gyutos seem to be 3°.
To account for the knife,you will have to add half of the knife angle,i.e 2° , to what angle you want on the edge. You mentioned that you want a 15°, so the knife on the EP is already tilting at ,say 4°, so half of that is 2°....set the arm at 17° and ,bingo, you now have a 15° edge.

Hope I explained that well enough. If not ask for clarification.

Douglas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

+1 excellent retort.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:12 pm 

Perfect explanation.

The EP angles as marked should be close for EP stones. I'm guessing OP has the thicker Shaptons.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:38 am 

Sharp knives - I appreciate the response, if I'm understanding your response correctly my 10.5 measured angle w/o a knife will be about 9deg at the knife edge with an average gyuto. Is that right? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that being accurate (not your statement, but what I'm seeing) and this was measured with one of the 220 EP stones which has been rarely used. I can't help to feel like I'm missing something. A 15deg mark, even though it's not expected to extremely accurate shouldn't in reality be closer to 9deg. Doesn't that seem off?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:42 am 

And Rookie, by using the word retort are you suggesting I was bad mouthing or accusing someone of something? I wouldn't think you are, but it struck me as an odd word to use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:21 am 

snipes wrote:Sharp knives - I appreciate the response, if I'm understanding your response correctly my 10.5 measured angle w/o a knife will be about 9deg at the knife edge with an average gyuto.

And that's only if you keep the edge right at the end of the blade table. The further out the edge is the more acute the angle.

It might be time to reverse engineer the angle using the sharpie trick and a fine stone. Zero on the blade table. Place the knife on the blade table and measure he grind angle. Then do the sharpie magic measuring on the back of the stone. Get back to us. Our thought process is correct but this doesn't pass the sniff test.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:15 am 
Forum Moderator

snipes wrote:And Rookie, by using the word retort are you suggesting I was bad mouthing or accusing someone of something? I wouldn't think you are, but it struck me as an odd word to use.

Nope, all meant in a very good way, pleased I am - was a good post by you!

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:40 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll report back once I've done some more investigation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:20 pm 

This thread is awesome and confusing at the same time.

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next