It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:00 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Looking for professional 270 gyuto recommendation
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 pm 

Thanks for all the advice! I like the Takayuki Grand Chef Wa-Gyuto 270mm and the Kikuichi Performance TKC 270mm Gyuto. We use plastic boards at work...do I need to worry about the Kikuichi chipping more than the other?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:55 am 

That shouldn't be more of a problem with the TKC.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

DAVEY <> Everyone here knows how much I take issue with people talking about knives they've never used, rather regurgitating others opinions, and therefore how hesitant I am to do the same. They also have confidence in me that when I do speak about knives in that category, it is stated or I'm speaking in the abstract. That said, I regularly kick myself for never buying a Grand Cheff. Admittedly, I have their Hankotsu, but that's too different an animal to contrast. I kick myself because I really like a lot of things it has going for it. In a 240 Gyuto, these is really prime for me, statistically:
    Overall Length: 393mm
    Tip to Ferrule: 250mm
    Cutting Edge: 240mm
    Height at Heel: 51mm
    Spine @ Heel: 2mm
    Blade Width Mid-Point of Blade @ choil: 1.25mm
    Hrc: 58-59
The 270 jumping up in height to 56 is more than I like, but to each their own. I really like the smooth radius of the GrandCheff's belly, I like where the tip sits in relation to tang centerline, I like the overall taper in height - that is, the ratio of how it carries height from heel to tip, I like the sweep of the spine, I'm curious about the laser thinness @Hrc58. The knife is of great interest to me.

That said, I haven't used it, and there are intangibles you can't glean from stats. I will say though I have yet to buy a knife that wasn't exactly what I thought it would be, there is no one knife purchase that I regret, and I am quite confident I'd really enjoy the Grand Cheff. {In all fairness, I have to add that I did come close to regret once and got to test a knife I intended on buying, but upon usage I learned I did not resonate with it. So I guess, you might say there was one knife that tricked me even though I never bought it.}

Anyhow, regarding a tendency to chip. I can see how you might be concerned with the TKC as it is notably harder than the Grand Cheff, at Hrc58:Hrc61. Back to stats though, they don't always tell the whole story. I know the TKC grind. I know the grind creates/promotes a durability that might surprise you out of Hrc61. Albeit, 61 not being so incredibly hard, but hard enough to get chippy for sure. And while I may assume the Grand Cheff @ 58 is a real durable heat treat statistically speaking, I wonder what kind of edge retention & with what durability it performs with considering what I assume to be laser geometry. Too many questions for me to speak about without using the knife.

If you respect your tools... if you ensure others respect your tools, you will be just fine with the TKC. I honestly still can't believe how much I enjoy using it. My hands overpower the Yo, but the profile is just so adept at so many different tasks any negative that one little factor presents is immediately deemed moot. If that wasn't enough, then let's talk steel. Well... let's not because I've digressed enough, but the steel does everything superbly (i.e., sharpens, offers sharpening feedback, offers board feedback, retains an edge - both virgin & working, resists corrosion, etc., aka everything).

You do scare me a bit when you say plastic boards. I assume you mean the polyethylene NSF boards you see in 90% of restaurants. Scared because there are some high density plastic boards out there that are absolutely harder on edges than others, but all in all poly boards are not incredibly abusive. I rarely use a wood board... very very rarely, and I use knives much harder than the TKC with most likely steeper bevels than you will employ.

All in all, I suggest the TKC strongly, and as our esteemed partner, the knifemaker Mr. Adam Marr exclaimed, "Holy crap....how dare I forget the TKC?!?!?!"

The TKC is "all that."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:39 pm 

Melampus wrote:
DAVEY <> Everyone here knows how much I take issue with people talking about knives they've never used, rather regurgitating others opinions, and therefore how hesitant I am to do the same.

This put a smile on my face this morning while trying to wake up. :) I agree and it does get a bit tiresome at times, but I try to look at it like this, when I first started frequenting the boards here just a few short months ago the traffic felt very low, popping in a couple times a day and seeing no updates to any of the threads was a bit disappointing. The same handful of people were the only ones commenting and offering recommendations, that's starting to change so from that aspect I'm enjoying it, but to reiterate my earlier statement, it is a bit tiresome at times.

Now to the OP's question, I've never handled a 270, but let me tell you about this bread knife :mrgreen:
Is it me or has there been quite a few 270 recommendation requests lately, is 270 the new 240? :)

Good morning

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

SNIPES <> Good morning. :mrgreen:

I agree, in that, the volume has picked up, but along with it as has the spread of misinformation. Obviously, there are enough of us to jump on it, but personally, I often hesitate because my bluntness is all to oft misunderstood; wearing a Moderator hat requires I bite my lip daily. That said, I am not discouraging people to speak up as no one of us knows it all. This is basically an opinion based forum, and everyone usually has at least one of their own. I love learning from the Members & fellow Mods; albeit knowledge I was ignorant of or a voicing of alternate perspective that ignited the introspection required for me to look at something in a new light.

As for 270's, even that is a broad category. Forget about steel & weight, howbout simple length? My Tadatsuna'270' comes in at 260 on the edge, my KonosukeFuna'270' @276, a Richmond Ultimatum'270' @285. Know what I mean.?!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Melampus and Snipes - Not to take this thread off topic, but when I was a forum newcomer, I fell into the trap of becoming an overenthusiastic contributor - dispensing opinions and advice that were beyond my product experience. I still probably do that occasionally, but I now have a sense of just how much knowledge and wisdom people like Melampus (and many others here) have to offer. Yet even he, with all his experience, has developed distinct preferences that may differ substantially from other experienced people. You'll find, however, that very few articulate their preferences as elegantly 8-).

You just have to learn to filter the information from everyone and glean those bits that come from a position of experience, knowledge, etc. and see how that fits with your own situation, knowledge and preferences. As Melampus has stated "You don't know, what you don't know". Just ask him about the Teruyasu-Fujiwara Nashiji steel ;-).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:10 pm 

TKC is amazing. I just purchased my own (finally). When I began using it I was very sad to have not bought it sooner. It is a beast. It is pretty much stainless. I haven't had any problem aside from it being a little discolored when I got it. Saya fitting perhaps? The dis-coloration scrubbed out fine though. Nasty sharp from the start,with no signs of slowing down. It has put away solid shifts of prep and only asked for the hone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:46 pm 

The only issue I had with the kikuichi TKC was it appeared to have I pinned bolster that was not completly fitted well creating a rust issue under the bolster. It could have been a fluke but I was put off by it enough to not buy one. Maybe someone can chime in as to whether current versions have similar issues?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

KALAEB <> I am at a bit of a loss. As far as I know of the TKC (a new one), the only “pins” are the three tang/handle rivets as the knife employs an integral bolster. And if you were saying the rivets were loose allowing water to get in & up to the bolster, I couldn’t comment as I do not have long term experience w/the TKC to draw upon. :|

Page 2 of 3 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next