It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:07 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Masahiro Chef knives
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:09 pm 

Jason,
I am confused. You wrote that because the edge is asymmetrical I shouldn't do the same number of strokes on each side? I never asked anyone here about that.
Because the edge is 80/20 should the strokes also be that ratio? I realize that I am still a novice at sharpening as I get better knives. I appreciate all of the help I can get form those more experienced.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

This is a common question from new knife sharpeners and it causes paralysis because there is a concern that you might "do it wrong" or "screw up the knife".

Asymmetric edges are done differently even from knife to knife when the person sharpening the knife is doing it free hand either on a belt or by hand. They can sharpen each side at a different angle or the can sharpen each side at the same angle but grind more on one side than the other. Or they can do both!

It will free your mind if you don't worry about trying to match the edge you got from the factory. There are very few knives who's edge is better than I can do on my stones so I always just ignore what's on the knife and I sharpen it to my liking which is more or less even and as low as the steel will hold which I find through trial and error (I sharpen the knife at about 12 degrees and see if the edge holds). Some steels can be sharpened more acutely than this but I don't tend to go much lower than 10 since I get annoyed with edge micro chips.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:36 pm 

Mark,
Thanks for the input. I Should have viewed Video #15 before I commented. It cleared up a lot for me. Most of my knives are 50/50. I do have a nikiri and an inexpensive Yanagiba that I bought specifically to practice with true single bevel knives. The Masahiros threw me a curve but now I realize the it's like you wrote about sharpening to your liking.

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2