It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bevel Setting Stone Recommendations...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:34 pm 

On my short list is the Nubatama 150 grit. It's expensive but large...I would also think a 220 grit would work. On a budget the Imanishi pink brick looks good. Basically I want a stone capable of fixing broken tips and bevel resets.

It would seem like a higher grit would be better to use with a 1,000 grit stone. I'd want to go from the coarse to the 1k then finish on the 5k.

If one section of my blade is noticeably fatter and wider at the bevel, how do I attempt making it more straight with the other side? In other words one side has a big fat v while the other side is noticeably flatter. I'd like to restore the 50/50 convex to something respectable...One side is fairly straight yet the other side features higher and lower points.

Would an Atoma 140 be able to go directly to the 1k stone? I notice Ken demonstrates in a video using the Atoma then the 150 followed by the 150 Nubatama...

The other option would be to buy another knife and maintain it using my existing 1k and 5k to better learn the mechanics of maintaining the edge.

Post subject: Re: Bevel Setting Stone Recommendations...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

I'll answer your last question. Yes, your 140 atoma can be used and then you can go to a 1k next. We do it at the shop all the time now that we used up the 150 bamboo that was our bevel grinder previously and it works well. The atomas work really well as a rough first stone. Better than the DMTs since the matrix is more consistent and grinds more evenly. It makes going to a 1k stone a breeze. So, save your money and use your atoma.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:57 am 

I would be carefull making that big of a jump and going from diamonds to sythetics. The atomas scratch deep , and if you dont take the time to remove thos scratches they can sort of drive you crazy later on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:16 am 

I've got all the time in the world to remove scratch patterns...I'm growing impatient folding burrs and trying to remove metal with a 1k. I don't have the Atoma yet. I was just thinking it would be a good multi purpose tool. I can only afford one or the other. I also don't have a stone flattening tool yet.

So the the Atoma 140, Nubatama 1k, 5k would probably make a very good package. I've got the 1k bamboo and 5k bamboo. Hopefully the Atoma completes the package. I'd rather buy another knife but I need the tools before getting another knife. My first victim will be a Shun Classic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:16 am 

It's possible but I can tell you from experience its no fun to remove those coarse diamond scratches. If you want to save a few dollars the bamboo 220 black brick might be a good alternative.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:24 am 

There are more quality stones less expensive than the Bamboo series.
The Shapton Pro 220 or 320 works well for setting bevels and you can go straight to your 1k.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:48 am 

I often jump from a 220 dmt ( my stone fixer as well) strait to a 1 k stone, on germans I sometimes jump to the shapton pro 2k. in the case of the later I actually like the toothy edge, seems to last longer... I would get an atoma or dmt and use it for double duty. if you've been doing that much work on your current 1 k its more than likely time for a spa treatment no?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]