It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Advice please stopping on edge pro
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:40 pm 

Rook, I find myself using the EP again a lot more these days and I do the edge leading strokes as my final work on a knife.
I actually have started doing that on full sized stones as well, i.e. edge leading, lifting the blade and pushing it every so lightly over the surface of my 8K or 10K stone.

I see that Ben updated his site and he also has a new 1k Stone, I ordered one so I'll have a chance to test it. He said it does not leave the polish as the other 1k but is better on harder steels.
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sailor wrote:Rook, I find myself using the EP again a lot more these days and I do the edge leading strokes as my final work on a knife.
I actually have started doing that on full sized stones as well, i.e. edge leading, lifting the blade and pushing it every so lightly over the surface of my 8K or 10K stone.

I see that Ben updated his site and he also has a new 1k Stone, I ordered one so I'll have a chance to test it. He said it does not leave the polish as the other 1k but is better on harder steels.
Peter

...and how do you find the final edge then.....???

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:31 am 

Rook, to my surprise the edges have been great, I'm still in the early stages of doing this, i.e. have only used this procedure on about 10 knives but I'm liking it very much. I really force my myself to use the least amount of pressure as possible, it's a somewhat delicate procedure but it's effective. It's like knife surgery or something but again, in my extremely humble opinion, I am improving the edge, I can tell by the way it grabs by thumb pad or removes arm hair.

On another topic, I have been really concentrating lately on using the entire length of the stone on the EP, I often found myself using the middle 4 inches only, which of course is bad for the stone but by slowing down a little and stretching it out to utilize the full length, it has actually sped things up, in my case, slower is faster.
(after almost 4 years of using the EP Pro, it still blows me away every time)

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Cool, good to know.

I often still "overshoot" when attempting to utilize the full stone length.

Quite normal for us mortals though.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:29 pm 

You could also just strop with a newspaper (free handing or just roll the newspaper to use it on your edge pro setup).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:04 pm 

Rook, I have that "overshoot" problem on fullsized stones.

When I first started sharpening I used to finish with light edge leading strokes and it seemed to work well. I kept reading and seeing videos where the claim kept being made that you should end with edge trailing strokes, so I made the change. At that point it seemed that I had to always fight more to get that crisp, clean edge. I have gone back to finishing with very light edge leading stroke and now I get "that edge" so much easier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:34 pm 

When really concentrating on my pressure I used to overshoot....a lot. Hated getting to the end of a sharpening then driving
the stone holder into the new edge so I just put drill collars on the arm.
Can't take credit for the idea as one of you folks first suggested it & it solved my problem.

Douglas

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2