It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Knife Set for a wanna be foodie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:21 am 

As far as what jsq said; yes a block is nice to keep nice knives tucked safely away. However, in this price range, one can easily skip the "set" option and go for a few awesome knives (not available in any set) and still have funds left over to buy a block (or magnet strip) as well as stones needed to maintain edge. I know im mostly repeating what a previous poster said but really, Building your own set is really just more fulfilling than buying a set in which you only get one maybe two knives that you truly love.

On another note (and this is sort of off topic but not meant to be a jab at anyone): I personally feel shuns are a bad buy because of their price. They are great knives, but for the price or less you can get higher quality steel. Makers like Tojiro and Tanaka are obvious examples of quality budget knives which, i feel, out perform higher priced name brands like Shun or Mac (though i own a mac chefs knife and still love it). There are a lot more makers out there that you can find who fall in to your budget and will fulfill all your needs

A good one to all,
Kriegs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Allen,

If you want a good set of knives and be done with it the Shuns are a good way to go. Pick a set, make a purchase and off you go.

However, if you want to learn about knives I would suggest you cherry pick them from different suppliers and get a good but eclectic set that you put together. This way you learn more about different knives and brands. For instance, this wold be a good set to get started:

Shun Bock
Konosuke HD 240 Wa-Gyuto (Or the HH)
Tojiro ITK Bread Knife
Shun Classic Paring knife
Idahone Ceramic Rod
Maruyoshi Nakiri
Tojiro Kitchen Shears

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:40 pm 

Allen --

Add one more voice to the chorus of "make your own set!"

I've had a few sets and I wind up liking one or two knives in the set and never using the others. There's also something to be said for the incremental approach because you can really learn what you like and need as you go. In reality, you don't really need a bunch of knives (although the obsession with buying more that plagues most of us on this forum would lead you to believe otherwise). But for most people, three or four very well chosen knives would be more useful than a pre-selected set.

I second what Mark says about the Konosuke 240 gyuto -- I have one and could probably get by with it alone for 95% of what I do. It's a great knife and it's really easy to care for.

Your bread knife can be a really cheap knife. Otherwise, a nice petty would be useful. I have the Moritaka 150. It's pretty inexpensive and it cuts wonderfully. I reach for it all of the time.

Of course, YMMV. Good luck. Have fun. But this is an addictive hobby -- if you drag it out, you will have a lot more new knife days and those are the best days!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 pm 

All of your suggestions are fantastic! I definitely am considering some of the Japanese knives mentioned. One question that you may be able to help with is that I tend to like heavier knives a bit more. I may be wrong, but is there a significant weight difference between the two? I don't see myself cutting transparent slices of tomato of any other type of super fine slicing. I generally prefer a rocking motion for dicing and chopping, but do slice the softer larger stuff like tomatoes etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:51 am 
Forum Moderator

Most Japanese knives are much lighter than their Western counterparts. Most people actually like the lightness of the Japanese knives once they get used to them. I find the heavy weight of the Western knives to be more of a crutch for the thick edges that they have. The Japanese blades are lighter, thinner, harder and will take and hold a much nicer edge, longer and cut much better. If you want a heavier knife, look for a Western handle Japanese knife. These will often have a metal bolster, which puts a good bit of weight on the blade. The Hiromoto AS series is pretty heavy as Japanese knives go, has Aogami Super Carbon steel in the core of the blade and Stainless steel on the outside. Great knife that has a bit more beef to it than the thinner ones!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:39 pm 

The more I read, the better I am understanding. Thank you all! I understand that the Japanese steel is harder and holds its edge better than the western style, and I know my wife would enjoy a lighter blade. But in everything, there is a tradeoff. Since the Japanese steel is generally harder, does that mean it's more brittle? Is it going to break in half by cutting up a chicken? Or even worse, it accidentally falls off the counter? Please put my stupid concerns to rest! I was looking at the Shun's (as well as some of your recommendation) since the Kershaw factory is just down the road from me, but have also heard that the handles are somewhat small. I have quite large hands

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:07 pm 

Hi Guys,

I'm really interested and thinking of pulling the trigger on this Tojiro:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpchkn24.html.

2 questions, is this a pretty good "starter" knife? and is it a single bevel or a double bevel? I couldn't tell. The reason I ask is that my wife is left handed, so it would be nice to have a knife thatwe both could use.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:30 pm 

I have the Tojiro Bread knife and the fit and finish are great, very nice line of knives. The DP chef you have linked will be double bevel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

allenfamilia wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm really interested and thinking of pulling the trigger on this Tojiro:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpchkn24.html.

2 questions, is this a pretty good "starter" knife? and is it a single bevel or a double bevel? I couldn't tell. The reason I ask is that my wife is left handed, so it would be nice to have a knife thatwe both could use.

The Tojiro is a double beveled edge and will work fine for lefties or righties.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:43 pm 

Mark, That's music to both of our ears! Just one last question, is this Tojiro sharpener worth getting or should I skip straight to the stones?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/to.html

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next