It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Edge Pro for single bevel knives?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:51 am 

Hello All,

I recently acquired a few new knives. One of them is a single bevel (right-handed) Honesuki boning knife. Can this be sharpened on an Edge Pro? Would an assumption that something around 30 degrees is correct? I have read differing opinions, one saying to sharpen on one side at an angle the other side flat, another saying only sharpen one side and deburr the other side. Everything though is for free handing on stones. I have not used the knife yet and am considering returning it if I can't sharpen on the edge pro as this is the only method I use.

Thanks in advance.

Darryl.

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro for single bevel knives?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:45 pm 

Darryl,
You will find a pattern in the responses to the question that will steer you towards leaving single bevel knives for freehanding rather than use an Edge Pro.

If you have both the EP and the full sized water stones and you are just as skilled with both than yes the preference is freehanding.

However, if I only had an EP and I had a nice Honesuki boning knife I would not be sending the knife back, I would give it a shot.

The answer is yes it can be sharpened on the EP, I have done it but you need to be aware that you may just be creating a micro bevel on the beveled side which will make it sharp. Try to match the angle of bevel as closely as possible, paint it with a sharpie, use the highest grit stone you have and adjust the angle until you are removing the painted area, just paint the edge. So if you do that, you are placing a micro bevel on the knife and you can use the EP stone in your hand and run it over the back of the knife to remove the burr, use a high grit stone for this.

So yes freehanding is the way to go but that is assuming one is skilled at sharpening single beveled knives by hand. If not, use the EP, I think you will be quite pleased with the results. I can't picture Ben Dale sending single beveled knives back to the owners saying that they can't be done on the EP. I can't picture MadRookie doing that either.

Try to match the level of the blade road as closely as possible, the next time, lower the angle a little until that stone is almost touching the blade road, it is just skimming over the surface but it's touching the edge. The EP has pulled me out of some rough spots, you just need some patience, confidence and courage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:31 am 
Forum Moderator

+1

:)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:12 am 

Thanks chaps. These were roughly my thoughts prior to getting the knife, then a bit of reading made me second guess myself. Anyway, today I used the knife (it is a Hattori) to bone out a couple chickens and love it. So committed now.

The highest grit stone I have is a shapton 8k. This should be enough?

However, I am still a tiny bit confused. If I am "painting" the edge, by which I assume you mean I am running absolutely level with the current bevel, then how will that create a micro-bevel? Would I not just be sharpening along the current bevel? Do you mean that I will be creating a micro-bevel on the flat side? Ok, as I am typing it is making sense. The micro-bevel will be on the opposite side?..looking for confirmation!

I also have a balsa strop and a ceramic hone, either of these good for removing the burr on the flat side?

Am about to make an order for a few bits from Mark so if there is anything else I should be considering then let me know.

Whilst no fanatic I do love checking in on this forum from time-to-time. Definitely one of the more friendly places to be online. Now, this is completely off-topic but checking in last night with the above questions ultimately sent me in to a panic. I had recently sharpened a few knives (at 15 degrees each side) with the Apex and newly acquired angle cube. So at nearly midnight I started watching MadRookies video on using the angle cube and I realise as I am watching that I have made the biggest Rookie mistake of all time, I was zeroing my cube on the bench top, not the blade table!!!! Phucking nightmare! I saw on MRs video that his table was at 9 degrees, so a quick calculation, math is not a strong point, left me believing my knives now had a 6 degree bevel on. So there I am at midnight setting up the edge pro, angle cube and checking my knives.... Now, whatever I did to check it seemed my knives had a perfect 15 degree angle on? I measured them every which way I could think (this is post at least a couple of bottles of wine) and they were at 15 degrees.

So guess what... The Edge Pro Apex blade table sits at exactly 30 degrees to the bench top, 30 degrees minus 15 degrees is 15 degrees, same as the bench top being 0 degrees plus 15 degrees is 15 degrees... The knives were all perfect despite measuring the angle from the bench.

Moral of the story is to not start looking at sharpening videos when completely pissed (drunk to our North American friends).

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:41 am 
Forum Moderator

...hahaha....nice story.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

JM <> Yes, a great story.

Yes, an 8 k finish is more than adequate - many will argue way overkill. Yes, you can microbevel the flat side, and yes, this will deburr the flat side.

Your balsa strop will hopefully be used to refine your edges... not to deburr them, and your ceramic hone has no more than a 1200 grit finish so I don't exactly know why you'd want to degrade your 8k polish.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]