It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:06 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Masahiro Chef knives
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:47 pm 

I scored a 300mm MV-H Masahiro from Mark on sale!! I already had a 270 but got greedy. The 300 was soooo sharp OOB!! Any suggestions on keeping it that way? I have a number of water stones(1,3,5,6,and 8K) plus some assorted DMT diamond "stones" I use for my woodworking tools. I have maintained to 80/20 edge geometry with the 270 so I think I can with the 300. I have learned that it's not always best to go for the finest grit stone. It depends on what the purpose is.

Post subject: Re: Masahiro Chef knives
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:08 pm 

I always felt a 1-3k edge worked best on a masahiro, too polished and the edge looses too much bite.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:43 pm 

Jason,
Thanks for the reply. I also have a 240mm Masahiro sujihiki and have found that,as you wrote, much past 3K and it doesn't slice like you want. Not enough bite.
I have a3K stone and will use it when the time comes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:51 pm 

Used my 3k on all 3 of my Masahiros. 100 strokes each side. Amazingly sharp. Shaving sharp BUT still grabs on a thumbnail. Would as few strokes with Mark's balsa kit help or hurt the edge?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:58 pm 

Strops offer more of a polishing action and will help to refine an edge. They will clean up the teeth left on the edge but they shouldn't remove them. So the balsa kit and a spray will help your edge and should not hurt it at all or remove the bite. It should also ensure that there isn't any burr left on the edge whatsoever as well.

Strops aren't needed, but I always strop my edges after sharpening for that little bit "extra". lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:45 am 

redstickboy wrote:Used my 3k on all 3 of my Masahiros. 100 strokes each side. Amazingly sharp. Shaving sharp BUT still grabs on a thumbnail. Would as few strokes with Mark's balsa kit help or hurt the edge?

Can't say I've ever did 100 strokes on each side of a knife. Sure your not over doing it? You might get the same edge with 50 strokes or less on each side.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:42 pm 

DefMunky,
I haven't had a lot of experience with the stropping kit. I usually do about 10 light stroked on each side. I used to do my finish stropping on the Sunday funnies
ala Murray Carter.

Jeff,
I tend to be a little OCD when it comes to sharpening so 100 strokes/side doesn't seem like too much to me. I'll start checking along the way and stop when it feels sharp no matter the number of strokes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:26 pm 

It's a asymmetric edge, 100 strokes per side implies you sharpened incorrectly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:27 pm 

To save your blades and make them last longer you'll probably want to just sharpen until they are sharp. Otherwise you're removing too much metal. That being said, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to stropping... I count 20 times per side even though that many is probably not needed. But again it is more of a polishing action than actual metal removal so it doesn't really hurt the blades or quickly turn them into filet knives. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:43 am 

Cardboard and newspaper work good for stropping.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next