It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kitayama as a finisher?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I would like your recommendation before purchase; use would be mostly for straight razor and Japanese Kamisori razor honing. I currently use a progression of Shapton Glass hones usually ending with either the 8000 grit or the 16000 grit depending on the razor. As a finisher, a Belgian Coticule and/or chromium oxide on balsa wood followed by leather stropping.

I am considering the following:

Latte 400
Nubatama Ume 1K med
Nubatama Bamboo 2K
Nubatama Bamboo 4000
Nubatama Bamboo 8000
Kitayama 8000x Water Stone

I heard many great things about the Kitayama 8000 Grit Water Stone and would like to know; as a finisher and edge 'touch-ups' (specifically for razors), would it provide for a keener edge, smoother shave than the equivalent grit Nubatama Bamboo 8000? Is it true that it is most effective after an equally high grit stone (Nubatama Bamboo 8000 or the Shapton 8K or 16K)?

Your input would be most appreciated.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Kitayama as a finisher?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

What are you doing after the 8k? It doesn't matter too much for your question but I like to know your whole progression just for my own interest.

There are mixed opinions on the Kitayama. Some people love the stone and rave about it and others don't care for it at all. It's a little soft and this can be a problem if you use too much pressure.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:57 pm 

You already have a nice progression. For your uses i dont see any benefit to adding other brands into the mix.

(not to say you can for your own pleasure)

Id add the 30k gs and some 3x11 roo strops with cbn (0.25 - 0.1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:00 pm 

I doubt you will find anything better from the progression you have now. Using 3 ffferent 8k stones is only going to give you 3 different 8k finishes only marginally different from each other.

If your looking for a better finish for razors invest in a natural.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark and thank you for your prompt reply.

Currently using the Shapton Glass series; I typically set bevels with the 500 and 1k followed by the required passes on the 2k, 4k and 8k for scratch removal and finessing. Depending on the metal I will sometimes go to the 16k Shapton Glass or the Naniwa Chocera 10k. Finishing and touch-ups on the Belgian Coticule (yellow select) and/or chromium oxide on balsa wood. Leather stropping between touch-ups.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm with the other guys. I know my customers like to try new stones and strops and experiment. That's fine but I don't think you would improve your edges significantly over the stuff you're using now. Since you have a good progression where you will most likely benefit is on your strop routine. As Saddan suggested I think you would get a little better edge if you used some high grit cbn and some super fine strop substrates like the roo strops or the nano cloth.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:40 pm 

Jason so kindly opens a whole new kettle of fish. Jnats :)

You can add 2 good quality Jnats as finishing stones. Id get one to convert the synthetic scratch pattern to a jnat scratch pattern , then another to finish on.

Say take the synthetics to 8k. Use a Yaginoshima Asagi to convert the scratch pattern. Ten finish on an Ozuku Asagi , Nakayama Asagi or Nakayama Iromono.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:24 am 
Forum Moderator

The thread is a bit confused as to whether you have Shapton glass stones or if you are considering the stones mentioned in the first post or already have some of them. In either case however, I'd agree that you are best served extending the range of grits to a finer level with strops and compounds rather than getting a panorama of 8k stones if I'm understanding this thread correctly.

I think you will be pleasantly rewarded using Japanese Naturals vs a coticule as the Japanese naturals which Sadden mentions will achieve a finer grit/ level of finish than the coticule. Past that point the 'roo and nanocloth strops with CBN and poly diamond will bring your final finish to a peak level of performance - past chromium oxide, both in smoothness and sharpness.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]