It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:54 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Knife to slice bagels?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

hi, what is best knife to slice (fresh/defrosted) bagel? Also it is sharpenable/serrated?
As you know bagel is "soft," not hard. My German bread knife doesn't cut this well.

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Knife to slice bagels?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:44 pm 

I use a shun off set serrated bread knife or my sujihiki. Really any knife will do as long as its sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

A nice, sharp, thin knife should slice bagels like buttah. However, if you are looking for a great bread knife, the Tojiro ITK bread knife is a nice performer for the money: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html. At it's current sale price - it's REALLY nice for the money. The Tojiro has more scalloped serrations which can be sharpened on the edge of a standard sharpening stone. Video which shows this: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nuume5kst.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:35 pm 

I use a sharp petty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 pm 

I am having good luck with the Tojiro ITK bread knife with bagels (clean cuts, no crushing, no crumbs), but keep in mind that though I eat a lot of bagels I am a home user and have had the knife for a few weeks, so that doesn't tell you how it holds up or how resharpenable it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

As long as you're not grinding the edge into the cutting board, you'll be able to cut a LOT of bagels before the edge dulls enough for a resharpen. Check out the video on the product page I posted above. Ken shows a great way to effectively sharpen the Tojiro on the edge of a stone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:26 pm 

SteveG wrote:As long as you're not grinding the edge into the cutting board, you'll be able to cut a LOT of bagels before the edge dulls enough for a resharpen. Check out the video on the product page I posted above. Ken shows a great way to effectively sharpen the Tojiro on the edge of a stone.

Is the Mac Superior bread knife the same as the ITK bread knife in this respect? I received one as a gift and I love it, but I haven't had to worry about sharpening it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:59 am 
Forum Moderator

I believe so. Same serration style.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:23 pm 

I have cut about a million bagels successfully with the Dexter offset handle serrated bread knives. I use the backwards idahone sharpening method when needed with much success

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:59 am 

Been cutting a few bagels a day this week and on Jeff's suggestion I started using my gyuto, if it was out, or my petty if I had to get a knife out for it. Works like a dream.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next