It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Job application, continuation of CED's thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

LUNA <> It's no rampage; I assure you of that. It's calm, collected, and sound advice. Cedar's "nugget" is just as sound. That you want to live the life of the starving artist is your prerogative.

Regarding salary: Here, as well, it is not unusual for the Chef to make over a $100k, that does not make it commonplace... nor is it. There is nowhere in the USA where starting wage for an entry level cook is $865 a week... nowhere. There is such a huge disparity in that number, you may have single handed just caused a mass emigration of American cooks to Canada. Minimum wage here is around $7.50 depending upon what state you're in. My swath of numbers may have some regional disparity, but they're pretty much spot-on.

And the kitchen tip-out you reference... :lol: Not below The Falls, my brother. Yes, there are absolutely restaurants in which tip-out the kitchen, but EXCEEDINGLY RARE... except in Sushi restaurants whereas it's pretty common for the Sushi Chef to get 1% of sushi sales only. And when there is a kitchen tip-out, it is either split amongst the kitchen staff or kept by the Chef. That you get 1% of food sales on top of an $11 hourly wage as a teenager at an entry level position with no experience IS INSANE! IN-FRIGIN-SANE! How many are in the kitchen... 4, 5, 6, 20.?! Let's just say 5. Assuming they all get 1%, though I suspect those with tenure would garner a higher tip-out, that's 5% right off the top of gross food sales! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: NEVER IN THE STATES. NEVER! I don't know what kind of profit margins you all are operating on up there, but that's incredulous. Here... maybe 1%, and that's to the Chef. If he chooses to disburse to his staff, is his prerogative. And again, this is not a common bonus structure... excluding the prior referenced Sushi spots. I've negotiated quarterly labor cost bonuses, food cost bonuses, gross food sale benchmark bonuses, but percentage of food sales is not common. And when it's had - BY ONE PERSON MIND YOU, 1% is high.

You are, absolutely, a lucky teenager to have already learned & polished a broad enough skill set & acquired a strong enough business mind so as to easily execute a career swap later... if need be.

In the mean time, I'll sit back and listen to you learn chords... 8-)

CEDAR <> The original "CED thread"<--link is a much better read of my assessment of the industry.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:51 am 

Mel baby, join us in Canada Eh? We'd love you here, just hope you don't mind the -40* weather we got last week.

As for kitchen stats, we run a 30% food cost with a 18% labor cost, did 18K today in sales. You do the math :)

As for where I work.. it's sad, and why I actually prefer prep instead of line. We bring in a lot of premade nasty BS, excuse my language but it's hideous and I can't stand it sometimes. Anyways, the business model was to hire inexperienced people and pay them minimum wage and just have them mostly heat and serve food rather than cook.

This is why I prefer to work either Saute or Garde Manger as it's a similar experience to other restaurants.

TLDR: How to make money, order shit premade and in bulk, freeze it, thaw it, heat, serve, all this using staff with little to zero experience. Make money ... you get the idea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

No. I never indicated any personal interest in Canada. It's a sunny 81 degrees in January; I live in paradise.

FYI: There's more operating & overhead costs than food & labor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:14 am 

Melampus wrote:No. I never indicated any personal interest in Canada. It's a sunny 81 degrees in January; I live in paradise.

FYI: There's more operating & overhead costs than food & labor.

Oh I know, there's rent and utilities, insurance and a lot of other expenses.

However those are the only statistics I get to know about

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2