It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:54 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Cryovac/ Sous vide
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:30 am 

I love sous vides beef, lamb and pork, but I usually avoid using it on chicken and white fish. Fish is because sometime the texture is less than perfect. The chicken is because it seems to concentrate the flavor to much. Leaner free ranging chickens seem to be less affect.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:06 pm 

Where I work we have a really small kitchen and the ovens are usually filled with meat getting "confit" (by the way, how do you write that in English? Is my french version ok? haha) We use the sous-vide for plenty of sides when we can't cook in the oven. Leeks with white wine, a bit of veg stock, thyme and garlic, in the water until just slightly soft, easy to control, and you don't lose any flavor or too much stock...

Sweetbreads are awesome sous-vide (then maybe a bit of fine polenta onto it and a spoonful of butter??)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:03 pm 

I do a lot of braising meats when I sous vide, short ribs, brisket etc...

but it works wonderful for fish, and veggies as well...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:23 am 

I don't do much baking but I wonder if cheesecake batters, custard, creme brûlée, etc. can be put in the cryovac to remove air incorporated in the mix?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:41 pm 

Atang- I actually saw a video on taking air out of products using a cryovac. If you put the liquid in a hotel pan and put it in the cryovac chamber you can turn the vacuum on to remove the air. The product will start rising because of the pressure. When you see that happen, simply press the stop button. It said repeat until the air is gone. I haven't tried it yet but it sounded interesting. I wonder how custards and such would turn out if you sous vided them? Anyone tried it out?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:58 pm 

I have used chamber vac to remove air. It works great, but you do have watch it carefully because it bubbles out of the Pam pretty quick.

Using a sous vide machine as a water bath stuffs like Creme Caramel and small cheesecake works well too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:09 pm 

btcreech wrote:Atang- I actually saw a video on taking air out of products using a cryovac. If you put the liquid in a hotel pan and put it in the cryovac chamber you can turn the vacuum on to remove the air. The product will start rising because of the pressure. When you see that happen, simply press the stop button. It said repeat until the air is gone. I haven't tried it yet but it sounded interesting. I wonder how custards and such would turn out if you sous vided them? Anyone tried it out?

I too have seen videos of removing air from soups, sauces and the like. I was unsure if the batters would be too thick to effectively remove air in the mix (I could see myself attempting this on a batch of cheesecake just to have the batch explode inside the bag :lol: ) thanks for the tips!

I have not tried to sous vide custard. I'm sure it would be cooked perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:45 pm 

The Chefsteps website is an excellent resource on sous vide, for sure. In addition to the Modernist Cuisine books which cover this in detail, another good resource is Under Pressure by Thomas Keller.

Custards are great. Sous vide pears are great. One of my favourites is sous vide leek. I also have a rigged sous vide system for homebrew (one gallon batches) - the wort sits in the water bath, but does not touch the circulator itself.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2