It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What are the options for leveling stones
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:23 pm 

Make that only .06mm and .01mm off.
Any way to edit posts?

Douglas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:35 pm 

If you use British English (in the options) and too much time hasn't passed, you can edit posts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:17 pm 

Ken,
It's a coincidence that I am just reading this now because last night I just noticed the issue you speak of. While my EP stones are very flat, they are not all level. I don't have this issue with EP Stock stones just some others. Not easy to correct once the "damage is done" so to speak.
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:07 am 
Forum Moderator

Do recognize that to 'parallelize' the surfaces requires making the stone as thin as the thinnest part of the stone. On occasion I do recalibrate stones when they have gotten out of wack.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:14 am 

Norton make a very cost effective nice large 9 by 3 inch "truing stone" that I have found admirable for flattening purposes (until such time as I spring for the sought after Atoma 140 that is).
If CKTG doesn't have it you can gaze upon it at Lee Valley amongst others.
Speaking of flattening ...no one has mentioned the handy trick of marking the surface to be flattened with a bunch of crosshatch pencil lines......once the pencil lines are rubbed away, your stone is flat....no guessing or over working involved.
(or does everyone know that and I am preaching to the choir? ....in which case I apologise in advance).

Julian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:51 am 

The old cross hatch trick. Yes that will ensure your stone is flat. It does nothing to ensure level. The cross section of your stone could be a wedge, which would cause unintentional convexing.

Unless you break out the mic, there is no way to eyeball level. Even brand new EP mounted Shaptons I bought at CKtG have had a measurable slope to them. I personally feel there is a limit to what we can control in the sharpening environment and don't drive myself crazy over secondary and tertiary factors. Aware, yes. Crazy, no.

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2