It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Drilling a hole for a saya
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

hi i was wondering what do you use to drill a hole in the saya and any video on how to
i have mine when i got my Konosuke gyuto

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Drilling a hole for a saya
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:36 am 

If you want the hole to line up correctly on both sides the preferred thing to do is use a drill press. But not everyone has those, so a couple clamps to make sure the saya stays put while you use a cordless drill, line it up by eye and drill the hole just behind and above the heel maybe 1-2mm behind height is your preference. this will secure the knife when inside the saya but allow you to take the pin in and out easily.

A little trick we use in the woodworking shop when we want a pressure fit is we will drill the hole the same diameter as the pin but round the outside edge, this allows you to push it in but it won't move without force once it's in there.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:56 am 

I just happened to see this and don't know if you still need help with this or not. It's fairly straightforward. First thing is to mark where the hole is going to be located. Start by placing the knife on the outside of the saya but in the position where it would be fully seated if it were inside. Then using a pencil very lightly trace the heel of the knife. Your pin can be placed anywhere along this line. Pick a spot visually that looks proper. Mark that spot along the line. Before drilling a hole, you need to know the diameter of the pin you will be using, and if tis tapered, what is the diameter of the pin when it will be fully inserted. I use a tapered pin. They are actually cribbage pins. So I drill the hole twice with two different sized bits. When you are finding the center point of where the actual hole will be drilled, you have to make sure the center of the hole is away from the line the distance equal to the radius of your largest hole. I use a drill press and drill my first hole completely through the first scale of the saya then 1/2 way into the far side being careful not to go all the way through. To be safe you can measure this depth and put a piece of tape on the bit as a gauge so you don't accidentally plunge all the way through. Next put in the bigger bit if using a tapered pin, and drill it through the first scale and no further. Test the pin in the hole and adjust the pin fit by sanding the tip off slightly if necessary, by doing this the pin will get slightly larger in diameter. I hope I explained this well enough and hope it helps someone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

I use a guitar bridge pin, #12 drill bit and a bridge pin reamer. Lay the knife on the outside, mark where you want the pin to be (take into account the pin diameter towards the top of the pin) with a pencil. Remove the knife, put a thin scrap of wood into the saya blade cavity, scrap wood under the saya and drill straight thru. Ream with the bridge pin reamer until the pin fits where I want it with the scrap wood inside the saya cavity, then chamfer both holes with a countersink.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:06 pm 

Great info here, thank you! This is a project that is on my to-do list.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:16 pm 

About to do this today or this weekend since my pin is fits waaaaay too tight

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]