It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shun meets Nubatama
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:21 pm 

Melampus wrote:SAILOR <> Even at $20 a knife... that's crazy cheap. Just crazy.

+1 :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:41 pm 

Um....that was 20 for both.

But he did leave a $10.00 tip

Ok so business man I am not :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:41 pm 

I was thinking $20.00 for both. I ask $2.00 an inch on bad ones like that. Depending on the extent of the damage maybe more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:46 am 
Forum Moderator

SAILOR <> How long did that take you.?! You remember that Suisin Deba awhile back?

I spent four hours on that. Let's say you split my time by half @2 knives is 4 hours all-day. THAT'S $5 AN HOUR. If that's the deal, it had to be for the satisfaction which I empathize with as I did the Suisin for free, but damn...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:07 pm 

Hi Mel, ya had to show me that deba again eh, just when I think I'm getting somehwhere I see what you can do:)
seriously, I love those shots of that knife, these type of pictures are my favourite.

I spent about 3 hours on them Mel, and yes it was for the satisfaction mainly. Having said that, and as my wife reminds me, I should be charging more for this type of thing but I really do enjoy it. This was an extreme case though, most of the time it is only an extra 30 minutes on a knife to repair.

I guess I really should re-think my pricing to include an extra fee for repairs, I've not been charging any extra for repairs actually.

Now that I've seen that knife again, I really need to get myself a good Japanese knife, it's always been something missing for me, I've concentrated on collecting Japanese Water Stones and I pretty much have everything I want/need right now so the only piece of the puzzle missing is a knife. I can get my hands on a Kikuichi Yanagiba right here in town, it's at an Asian market and it's stuck in behind the counter and its' been there for a while now, no one knows it's there.

Thanks for the pictures Mel, I love them and yes I am a fool for charging only 20 bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

SAILOR <> First, I was in no way calling you a fool. Please. I was simply thinking in my mind that even if the Chef's was a Classic it's a $120 knife. You gave him a $120 knife for $10. :? The petty... let's say $80 for $10. They were useless, and now they're new. I understand a pricing system like PJ's, but those knives were not "damaged"... they were destroyed as is typified by your 30 to 180 minute disjunct.

Second, I was not comparing with pictures; I was contrasting time invested. That Suisin was just the first thing I thought of regarding time because I vividly remember it was four hours.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:47 pm 

Hi Mel, I know you weren't calling me a fool, never thought that for a second and I know exactly what you were saying.
I also know you were not comparing with pictures, but I had to comment on the pics again because I enjoyed them so much, and I know you were contrasting the time investment piece.

I enjoy these forums because it provides the opportunity for me to learn from people like you, you speaking your mind is just what I need, I would disappointed if you didn't and I never take it as anything but constructive criticism. It's funny but when I decided to start a sharpening business I always figured making the knives sharp would be the tricky part, heck, that's the easy stuff, it's pricing, getting the knives to me and back to the owner, Invoices, keeping track of customers....I need an assistant :)

At some point in time, when I am ready I will get back to you about my knife choice, I'll need some help with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm always here for you, Sailor. I'm awake, on average, 130 hours a week, and I burn midnight oil here till I pass out on the keyboard.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:11 pm 

Lol, roger that. I will be in touch when it comes time to choose from Marks knife emporium.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:58 am 

It looks like they were cutting into something frozen. That tip break was probably from having butter fingers lol.

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next