It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a knife for my Fiance.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I need a knife recommendation.

My Fiance refuses to cut anything that was breathing (she hates touching raw meat). She mostly does prep work with vegetables and is fairly proficient with it. My mom gave us a Santoku from Japan that had a western style handle made of wood (not sure what kind but it wasn't fancy). It has been with us for more than 7 years. It became her knife of choice after our san mai died from several large chips (may it rest in peace).

Recently we went to a relative's house that doesn't believe in sharp knives. They believe that fallacy that sharp knives are more dangerous than dull when cooking. So we took our collection there and did a lot of cooking. After we got back, we realized that the santoku was missing. Knowing those relatives, it's probably a goner by now. I could literally see and hear her heart break.

She's now using my victorinox 10-inch chef's knife but hates every moment of it due to the weight, length, and handle. I told her to use a pinch grip but she hates that kind of grip. I offered her my JCK Carbonext Gyuto but she's too scared to touch it (price and fragility of carbon steel).

We've been trying out handles and such at different stores but keep coming up short. The blades are too long or too short. The angle's wrong. The handle's too thick. The blade's too heavy. Etc.

I asked her what she wants. She tells me she wants a handle that's not too fat, and that the angle keeps her wrist elevated because bringing the wrist down too far doesn't feel right. It must be a santoku. It can't be a large knife like the 10 inch Victorinox but it can't be small like a Petty.

From what I remember about the Santoku we lost, the handle didn't have an angle. It was straight but the clearance between the bottom of the blade and the bottom of the handle was significantly larger that what I usually see in the cheaper knives at the store. I believe the balance was slightly forward of the bolster but not too far. It was definitely a more all around blade heavy feel than tip heavy. Also, it was a mono-steel and probably a stainless at that. This is important because she tends to leave the knives out after use instead of cleaning and storing. I'm not home when this tends to happen. If I may make an observation, her fingers are short but her hand is wide so a short and thicker handle isn't comfortable. Also, I'd prefer it that the edge retention be good because I sharpen all our knives that that one needed a sharpening every 2 weeks.

I was thinking that the Richmond Artifex Santoku, Tojiro DP Santoku (Regular or damascus), or the MAC Superior.

I'm willing to listen what suggestions you have or recommendations.

Thank you!

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for a knife for my Fiance.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

If she's not married to you yet, you better get her a good one. :)

How much did you want to spend?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Good lower-priced suggestions:

Fujiwara FKM Santoku 180mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmsa18.html

Tojiro DP Santoku 170mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpsakn17.html

Sakai Takayuki Damascus Santoku 180mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadahasa18.html

Medium-Priced Suggestions:

Maruyoshi HD Santoku 7": http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hasakn.html

Masamoto VG Santoku 180mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/masamoto- ... knife.html

Higher-Priced Suggestions:

Takamura Migaki R-2 Santoku 170mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura1.html

Kikuichi Swedish Warikomi Damascus Santoku 180mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiswwada.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks!

I'll keep my eye on the thread.

To answer your question posted, less than $100. She doesn't want anything expensive or else she'll never use it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:00 pm 

Under $100 I would probably go with the Tojiro DP SteveG linked to. I love my Tojiro DP Gyuto. Very nice knife for the money. The handle has kind of a big "butt" however it is not that large in the body of it where she would actually be holding it and the balance point is around the bolster so it lends itself well to a racket grip. Nowhere near as big as something like a Forschner's Fibrox handle or similar. The Fujiwara FKM would probably be about the same, possibly a thinner grind but I dunno. The Tojiro DPs are pretty thin behind the edge and they should both be very similar. The Tojiro DPs are also pretty sharp out of the box as well (mine shaved, lol), so she should be able to put it into service immediately without having to touch it up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:38 pm 

I had the chance to handle a Artifex Santoku one of my customers purchased from CKTG recently. I give them a complementary first sharpening when they make a purchase here. A bit heavy overall but had pretty good balance. Not as handle heavy as the Artifex 210 Gyuto.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:54 pm 

Kiyotsuna Josaku Santoku 165mm, AUS8A Stainless steel blade
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kijosa16.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:34 pm 

Something nice about the AUS8A stainless knife Jeff linked to is it should not be chippy like VG10 can be. In fact it should respond well to a normal knife steel as it is not as hard as a lot of other Japanese steels, and my experience with it in pocketknives is that it is pretty easy to sharpen and will take a nice edge. It can develop rust if not cared for (remember, stainless doesn't always mean stain-proof! ;) ) but it is not reactive and I think the rust I have seen is because my pocketknives stay clipped to my pocket... it's probably more humid there next to my body enclosed in a pocket while working in a sometimes 100+ degree plant than your knives will be in a kitchen block or magnetic strip. lol

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]