It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Light Weight 210 petty.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I recently purchased a Masakage Yuki Honesuki, it arrived the other day. I was very pleased with it overall. I am interested in a few other knives, but currently I am looking for a lighter double bevel general utility knife/slicer in the 210mm range for use at home. I already have larger 210mm Wa-Gyuto. Looking at what you have in stock, I wanted to ask if you have a recommendation between the Kajihara Petty/Sujihiki 210mm or Moritaka Aogami Super 210mm Petty. Is the Moritaka the Supreme series? I was also considering the Konosuke - HD2 knives, but you are out of stock of those knives. My knives get light duty and I clean and dry them after use.

Thank You

Mark

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Light 210 petty.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:10 pm 

I have the Konosuke 210mm Wa-petty in white #2 and LOVE it! http://www.chefknivestogo.com/korewh2se.html

Post subject: Re: Light 210 petty.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

That Konosuke is a really good suggestion. It's light, thin and works great.

The Moritaka is the supreme series and that is a nice but very different type of petty since it has a Kurouchi finish and is a little thicker than the Konosuke. The steel is aogami super and hit takes and holds a wicked edge.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Light Weight 210 petty.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:52 am 

I have the 150 Moritaka supreme and can say mine is very nice. Apparently there are inconsistent grind issues with some of the knives in their lines, but I have had zero issues with my particular one purchased from CKTG. I used it this evening to prep and slice the entire dinner meal at home. The rustic finish is a personal opinion, but the super blue edge is very nice. I was cooking all day on NYE and got a little carried away and my finger came in contact with the edge and immediately opened right up. Maybe not really to the point, but it just reminded me how sharp that thing can get.
With all that said, I lust after a kono in the HD2 steel. If choosing between the two the Kono would be my choice w/o question.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Light as a feather, and an awesome knife:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suisinpetty.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:40 pm 

Like the Moritaka Supreme 210 mm but I am concerned about the fit and finish/consistency. I do not have enough experience to regrind the edge profile... The Kono HD2 seems a bit light for my uses and not in stock. Probably consider the 240mm length, as it opens up more possibilities. I am leaning more toward the Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Sujihiki 240mm, low maintenance and good edge retention from what I have read of the core AEB-L steel. I do not need the cutting edge of sharpness or extreme durability, as the knife would only get occasional use. Others of interest are the Kajihara Sujihiki 240mm, and Takeda Aogami Super in either a 210 or 240mm. Need to do some more thinking, but probably go ahead with one of these next week when I get caught up. Thank you for the comments and sorry about the cut finger.

Mark from Tucson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:17 am 

i vote for the suisin or the konosuke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mark - I wouldn't be concerned about the Moritaka F&F/consistency. I think this issue is overstated. If you like the Moritaka Supreme 210, then ask Mark to pick a good one for you in your order comment. If on the off chance your sample is not close to perfect, I'm sure he'll exchange it for another that is. They are great knives.

Aside from that, moving into a 240mm Sujihiki does open up more possibilities. The Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Suji is a really nice knife as well. It's very well done, with good F&F and it's a real looker in person.

If you are looking mainly for a slicer, then a 240 wins IMO over a 210 petty. If you mainly want a utility knife that can occasionally see some slicing duty, then a 210 petty wins IMO.

Mark also has a nice 210 AEB-L Petty in the Richmond Laser 210 Petty: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rila21pe.html.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:45 pm 

Thank you for all the info. I went ahead with the 240mm Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Suji, I wanted a slightly heavier knife with minimal maintenance. I do not need the ultimate slicer and wanted to go with with a steel that was less chip resistant (so opted out for the Moritaka). The Kono's are out of stock in the H2, there are always lots of possibilities.

To go along with that I also got the knife fever and went ahead with the Katsushige Anryu Gyuto 210mm. I use smaller chopping boards/space, so the Gyuto 240mm was a bit big for my needs (i.e. home cook). It was either that or the Masakage Yuki Gyuto 210mm. I have the Masakage Yuki Honesuki 150mm, very nice for the cost. Hard decision, the Anryu has probably slightly nicer fit/finish but it seems like there is a slight preference for the Yuki in the forum. All nice knives and had to move forward. Just a note, the rest of my knives are Shun Classics, and Edo. The Edo set is just ok, but I wouldn't buy it again. The Shun Classic knives are better/not bad, but the feel/performance of something like the Masakage Yuki, takes it to a whole different level.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mark - that's awesome! Very nice choices :-). That Anryu is one bad-a$$ blade. It'll be a total prep monster in your home kitchen :-).

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next