It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: 240mm San-Mai Wa-Gyuto around $200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:27 pm 

Hello,

I am currently deciding between two knives on the site, having narrowed it down from a much larger selection. I am looking for a 240mm wa-gyuto, carbon-core, preferably stainless-clad, san-mai contruction with a relatively flat profile. I was looking at spending around $200, and found two options just above that amount that I am deciding between.

I was wondering if anyone who had used the Anryu tsuchime in Blue #2 (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasgy24.html) and the Masakage Yuki in White #2 (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy24.html) could comment on these knives comparatively. I assume given their simliar hardness that sharpening/edge holding will be roughly as expected for blue/white steel. But how about cutting performance due to grind, etc.? They seem similar from the videos I found but that is no substitute for first-hand use.

This knife will be used in a home kitchen. I was also examining some non-stainless-clad san-mai knives such as the Masakage Mizu, but stainless clad would be a plus for me and from the specs and videos the Mizu seems to be a heavier knife with less distal taper particularly toward the tip. I am looking for a medium-weight knife, rather than a laser, but I do like a relatively thin tip.

Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

Erik

Post subject: Re: 240mm San-Mai Wa-Gyuto around $200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:46 pm 

I had narrowed it down to this same list just a few months ago. I can't help with a comparison, I went with the Anryu. It is an awesome knife. It is a mid weight knife, but I tend to prefer it over my thinner knives because the grind is so amazing. There is very little sticking or wedging. The knife feels very solid in the hand.

At the risk of muddying the waters, the knife I would most compare it to is the Goko White #1. The Goko feels more robust but less nimble. Otherwise, the grinds are similar and the weights are basically the same.

The Goko and Anryu are my two favorite knives right now. The Yuki is still on my wish list but the knife budget is a bit strained :).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

As I recall, the Yuki is a touch thinner behind and at the edge. It had a slightly better grind.

However, too many knives in my brain right now....I could be off on that recollection. :)

The Yuki is definitely got a nice grind though....I've seen it more than the Anryu so my memory of it is slightly better.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:38 pm 

Both are great knives, hard to go wrong either way. Just get both!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:20 am 
Forum Moderator

Both are great blades! The Anryu is more of a midweight (same with the Goko 240mm, almost an identical edge profile on the board). The Yuki is supposed to be very nice as well. The Richmond AS Laser 240mm is an interesting knife, crazy thin (Kono Laser type) behind the edge, and it gets a bit thicker before the taper from the middle of the blade to the spine kicks in. So you get laser like cutting performance with a little more heft to the knife. The Kohetsu 240mm is a bit thinner overall than the Anryu and cuts very very well, but is more of a laser.

The Tanaka Sekiso 240mm is still my favorite knife in the 240mm, all carbon, midweight class. Blue #2 clad in a layered damascus, all carbon, but phenomenal cutting performance!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:06 pm 

The Anryu and Massakage are very similar in the specs ; the differences are the steel type and the blade finish. I have the 240 Anryu and it is one of my favorites. Great grind with a thin edge. The oval handle with rosewood/buffalo ferrule feels great and the finish of the knife is very fine. The stainless clad matte hammered finish is a plus, it is great looking and the dimples gives your finger tips a firm hold when you pinch grip. Like Cedarhouse I have a Goko and it is very similar to the Massakage. It also has a great grind and wicked edge. The stainless "pear skin" cladding is attractive and is the texture of the cladding provide traction when pinch gripping the blade. Any of these three plus the Tanaka Sekiso that Taz mentioned are great mid weight choices. You will be happy with any of them!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:42 pm 

Thanks everyone! Your thoughts have been very helpful. Ultimately I think I am drawn to the Masakage in terms of aesthetics, but I notice they are now out of stock in 240mm. I'll keep exploring options until those come back in, or I make some other choice, but I believe I'll be shooting for the Yuki. I'll let you know if I have other questions.

Erik

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]