It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Goko 19C27 Stainless Damascus 240mm Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:59 pm 

Agree on the fit and finish, the handle is sloppy, large gaps around the base. As far as the edge, mine passed hanging hair almost as easily as my straight razors finished on a nakayama asagi, and better than my knives finished on an Imanishi 10k. Not saying I am a perfect sharpener because I am not, but I am pretty sure I am not bad. Now of course, the edges between our knives could have varied significantly, maybe I got lucky. (Though I am not sure it is that lucky, now its hard for me to justify sharpening it).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:27 am 

Oh, the edge is fine. And I don't know at what level of refinement you can pass a HHT. But looking at the bevel, it is not mirrored, so I speculate that the bevel was not polished as high as I polish my razors. Additionally, I can see spots in the bevel where the light reflects at a different angle than the rest of the blade. This does not mean those spots are not sharp, just that there are nicks, chips, a rolled edge, ect. And even with these imperfections it may pass a HHT elsewhere on the blade, I wouldn't know...I don't have any hair :D. I would put this edge on par with any I have received from the factory, but I bet it could be better :D.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:44 am 

On closer inspection under magnification, I agree there are some inconsistencies in the edge. I guess I got a bit enthused when it tree topped arm hair and passed HHT, and didn't bother to give it a close enough look. Either way, yeah, who am I kidding, I am going to sharpen it.

P.S. I don't know about anybody else, but I haven't been able to pass hanging hair below my 6k Arashiyama. I suppose I need more work, and am luckily all too happy to put more in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:45 am 

I wonder if the edge inconsistencies are from the type of steel? I checked mine for off-reflections in the edge (as I do all new knives, lol) and did not have any. It all seemed smooth and nothing glinted at me or looked wrong.

For $99 the fit and finish did not really bother me, as like Cedar said it was pretty much in the price ballpark of Tojiro and Fujiwara. I would probably be more concerned if they were present on the $150 version but I doubt those would have any real issues. That might also explain the edge... they decided these were seconds so they put a utility edge on them... albeit a VERY sharp one (the blade is almost thin enough even a flat edge would be sharp, lol), but maybe not as finished as they would normally do.

Price for performance though I would not hesitate to jump on a deal like this again provided I had the funds to do so just because of the F&F. I also wouldn't hesitate to buy one at $150 without the F&F issues. lol It is a seriously good knife.

I'm going to hold off on stropping the edge though. I'm curious to see how long it will go with the factory edge until it needs it. Then I'll strop it and see what it is like with a little more refinement. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:56 am 

Pretty confident it isn't the steel, under magnification it just looks like an inconsistent scratch pattern from when it was sharpened.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:01 am 

"Price for performance though I would not hesitate to jump on a deal like this again provided I had the funds to do so just because of the F&F."

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:20 pm 

Does anybody think this knife could be a clone of the kikuichi Swedish warikomi Damascus? Seems to have very similar specs and the same Damascus pattern. I don't have calipers to measure the spine, but I did weigh it and it's about 150g or 5.2 ounces, figure the weight difference could be in the magnolia wood vs. rosewood/ebony. My understanding is OEMs for different companies is not unheard of in the knife world.

Wish Melampus or knife fanatic could try it out, both to shed light on my conjecture and to give an overall opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:31 pm 

"Does anybody think this knife could be a clone of the kikuichi Swedish warikomi Damascus?"

The thought has crossed my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:55 pm 

LucaBrasi wrote:Does anybody think this knife could be a clone of the kikuichi Swedish warikomi Damascus?

cedarhouse wrote:The thought has crossed my mind.

I was thinking it looked a LOT like it as well after seeing Shaun's (Knife Fanatic's) vid on it. And yes... I do watch his and other's vids on knives for entertainment... lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:15 pm 

DefMunky wrote:
LucaBrasi wrote:Does anybody think this knife could be a clone of the kikuichi Swedish warikomi Damascus?

cedarhouse wrote:The thought has crossed my mind.

I was thinking it looked a LOT like it as well after seeing Shaun's (Knife Fanatic's) vid on it. And yes... I do watch his and other's vids on knives for entertainment... lol

So I'm not the only one who enjoys the smooth voice of Mr. Fernandez and his veritable chopping skills with a chuckle after each sentence.

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next