It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:53 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good Japanese knife
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:59 pm 

I really appreciate the feedback guys. I went ahead and got the Kohetsu 240mm. I picked up a 1k/6k combo stone as well as the holder/flattener combo as well.

DefMunky, it's funny that really the only other knife I was strongly considering is the Goko with white #1 steel.

Thanks again for all the input I'm learning a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:02 pm 

Well, the Goko could always be a next purchase... and there will almost definitely be a next purchase... lol ;)

Let us know how you like the Kohetsu! It will probably be a "next purchase" for me one day. lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:13 pm 

The scary thing is, you are more than likely right. I will in no way, shape, or form be able to stop at a single knife. I'm in no way a great chef, but man I do really enjoy cooking in my kitchen.

My next purchase will be to upgrade my wood block I think, get something bigger. Mine is about 16x16, maple I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:07 pm 

I bought one that is 18x24, man it's a monster and I love it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:19 pm 

Jeff B wrote:I bought one that is 18x24, man it's a monster and I love it!

If I had the counter space I'd love a huge board like that. lol

Right now I'm making due with a "tiny" 18" x 16" that JUST fits the space I have for it. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:29 pm 

I have an island so I have the space. I'd like to get a bigger board at some point for sure. Maybe for my b-day in March.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:17 pm 

Blake, about 3 weeks ago I let a friend test drive my new Kohetsu 240. About half an hour later I had to take the knife away from her because she cut every vegetable I had; the knife was like crack. So if you are going to allow your friends to use it make sure they bring their own produce with them.

If you wish to upgrade your cutting board check out Proteak's line. Teak is very tough, knife-friendly and naturally high in oily resins which helps the board resist moisture and dryness. Hence, why it was the go to wood for ship builders. You can check out "Equipment Reviews Best Cutting Boards" on UTUBE to learn more based upon an America's Test Kitchen review.

Enjoy your new knife.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:19 pm 

Blake, about 3 weeks ago I let a friend test drive my new Kohetsu 240. About half an hour later I had to take the knife away from her because she cut every vegetable I had; the knife was like crack. So if you are going to allow your friends to use it make sure they bring their own produce with them.

If you wish to upgrade your cutting board check out Proteak's line. Teak is very tough, knife-friendly and naturally high in oily resins which helps the board resist moisture and dryness. Hence, why it was the go to wood for ship builders. You can check out "Equipment Reviews Best Cutting Boards" on UTUBE to learn more based upon an America's Test Kitchen review.

Enjoy your new knife.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:27 pm 

I've heard that teak has a higher concentration of silica than other woods, which can reduce edge retention. Anyone out there hear something else? (I think the pro-teak boards are absolutely beautiful, btw!)

Last edited by toddnmd on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:00 am 

I've heard Teak is horrible for your knives.
Teak has a high silica content and can be very hard on sharpened metal edges. Worse than Bamboo.

From the BoardSmith Web page:

What about exotic woods?

- Many are toxic and should be avoided. Woods like Teak contains silica which is highly abrasive to your knife edges. Also, avoid any spalted wood. Spalted wood contains a bacterium that is eating the wood and is toxic to humans. Steer clear of woods like red and white cedar. They contain oils that repel insects and if the insects won’t eat it, you shouldn’t be eating off of it.

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next