It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Goko Stainless Damascus
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:31 pm 

I like the look of the magnolia wood handle and that these have the buffalo horn ferrule instead of the plastic. It will look nice next to the Goko white #1 210mm with the chestnut handle when I get it too. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:30 pm 

Mark....

I've ordered one of these and it will be delivered tomorrow, which when I ordered it, was for me. However, I have a chef coming over to do a dinner for my wife and family (my birthday treat!) and was thinking of giving the one that is coming in tomorrow to him as thanks for the dinner.

I know you said you are getting some of the Goko hammered damascus in, but those would have small cosmetic blemishes, the question is, will you be getting another shipment of these in at this price? Or was that a one and done?

Cause I'd like to order another one for myself!

Thanks...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:12 pm 

WOOT! According to USPS tracking my knife is delivered! Unfortunately I'm at work so I won't be able to play with my new toy until I get home... lol

This is gonna be a LONG day... ;)

I'll make a write up for it after I use when making supper tonight. I can't wait! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:13 am 

Folks....

Did Mark ever say these were seconds? I just remember him saying that he got a crazy deal on this and that they would be offered at approximately at 30% discount due to volume pricing.

I do not ever remember him saying this batch were seconds.

Now, I do remember him saying that the hammered Damascus were seconds, which was due to the scratches on the blade during the grinding process. Actually, that spawns another question....how does that happen? So some guy accidentally grinds 100 knives badly before someone says "Hey! You are doing that wrong! Stop letting the grinder hit the blade above that center line!". ;-)

Just being silly, but it is a valid question, unless that process is somehow robotic and the machine went rogue.

However it happens, lucky for us because we'll snap those suckers up!

I missed out on the hammered Damascus, but did score one of these regular ones and just received it today. It is destined as a gift for a Chef friend. It is a beautiful knife, it even got that comment from my wife (you don't know her, but those are hard to come by). I did see a few faint scratches, particularly around the stamped kanji, and the shims in the handle, but I'm assuming that is simply the way these are constructed (handles). All in all, a great "steal" for $99.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:02 pm 

No, they weren't listed as seconds but given some of the things I have seen on the blade I was thinking that maybe they were. It isn't a big deal at all for me, as the blade is likely to get scratched up anyway and they are still beautiful knives. I would probably only raise any issues with the F&F if it was $150 and even then I wouldn't go through the trouble of trying to return it. lol I mean come on, even at full price these things are only $150. And like you I figured the handles were just put on that way as from what I have read the Japanese seem to worry about the handles about as much as I do... not at all... lol The grind or handling scratches on the otherwise polished blade were the only thing that makes me think they could be seconds and really I had to nitpick to find anything wrong with the knife in the first place. It certainly cuts as well as I think a $150 knife should in my opinion and I would certainly buy it again if I had to do it over. I don't think your friend will be disappointed AT ALL with the gift. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:13 am 
Forum Moderator

I did some work on a JCK knife that was 19C27 clad in dimpled damascus much like the Goko and it too had the same scratches in the cladding that Mark showed the pic of, and it wasn't a second!

I missed out on both of these, may have to snag one of the dark handle ones when they come in next!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:02 am 

Just got mine, review to come soon. I have like 4 reviews to post now

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:23 pm 

taz575 wrote:I did some work on a JCK knife that was 19C27 clad in dimpled damascus much like the Goko and it too had the same scratches in the cladding that Mark showed the pic of, and it wasn't a second!

I missed out on both of these, may have to snag one of the dark handle ones when they come in next!

Looking at the hammered damascus its about 2mm wide as compared to the dimpled damascus at around 1.5mm. The grind on the hammered blade goes up about half way up the blade before transitioning into the hammered finish. They probably used the same stock blades and ground them all the way to the spine for the dimpled damascus. I didn't like the look of the dark handle in the photo. Its looks better live.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:07 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes Rayong, that is exactly what they do. My damascus one has slight dimples left in it where the dimples were a bit deeper than normal :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:42 am 

Wow, that looks like a great deal! Has anyone got any info on the blade profile? A choil shot would be even better...

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next