It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Learning to sharpen at lower angles
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:55 am 

Hey guys,

I have recently gotten into thin Japanese style knives after using Wusthof knives for about 3-4 years. I have a new west knifeworks 9" chefs that I've experimented with touch ups on with the stones I have(the beston, bester, Rika kit off this site) with my 5k. I am a little hesitant on going to the lower stones as fear of screwing up the knife.

Any tips on learning the lower angles for <20 degree edges.

Most of my sharpening experience is on said wusthofs on oilstones at school/work

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
9" New West Knife Works Chef's
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto
150mm Masakage Yuki Honesuki
8 and 10" Wusthof Classics
Crappy Mercer culinary school knives

Post subject: Re: Learning to sharpen at lower angles
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:30 am 

The exact angle is less important than a consistent angle. A well done 20 degree edge will cut better than an "off" 15 degree edge.

One way to find the edge is to put the knife flat on the stone with the edge facing you and pick up the spine of the knife until the edge meets the stone. Use a finger on your other hand and see how much the spine is off the stone compared to your finger tip. Is it half a pinky or thumb high? Whole pinky or thumb? Whatever finger you use (or any visual reference really, some stack coins) will give you a rough guide until you get comfortable with the angle you need to sharpen at. Once you find a comfortable angle, chances are all of your knives will be sharpened at that angle anyway. lol

Once you get some practice under your belt, being able to change angles between the Japanese knives and German knives should not be hard to adjust to. Just remember to find the angle the knife is sharpened to and work with that to get it consistent. The exact angle you end up at is trivial and not something to be overly concerned with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:41 am 

Thanks for the quick reply! That should help a lot and is kinda what I have been doing. On the same train of thought; is thinning hard to do?

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:52 am 

Simple thinning as far as knocking the shoulder bevels off, no. In fact many new sharpeners do this unintentionally. :P lol

Thinning is the same as sharpening, just at a lower angle so the edge is OFF the stone but the knife isn't flat either. Just get your sharpening technique down pat and thinning should be easy to figure out. Sharpen first, thin later. ;) It will be an even shallower angle and feel weird at first, but once you learn to hold a consistent angle thinning without grinding the snot outta the flat of your knife should be pretty easy to do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:57 am 

Cool, thanks for the information. Knowing is half the battle ;) and on an unrelated note, this community of knife geeks is totally awesome, love reading the forums after a shift on the line.

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Pink Floyd (I assume) - Welcome to the menagerie that is the CKTG forums :-).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:47 pm 

Yes! Welcome to the machine!

Sorry... couldn't resist... :P

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]