It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sudden Stone Cracking
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:07 am 

Hello Everyone,
When I was sharpening a cheap razor and going through the progression, I picked up the Arashiyama 6000x and placed it on the sink bridge and noticed a small crack had formed. :shock: Never had that happen before. Now I just used the green DMT plate I have to ensure it was flat and sharpened away. Then flattened once more after I was done with the razor and set it with the rest of the stones to dry. Now more cracks have appeared and the original one has gotten worst.
So can someone please educate me on what I did here that may have caused this. :?

Attachments:
DSC_0001.jpg [100.43 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post subject: Re: Sudden Stone Cracking
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:47 am 

How do you store it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:32 am 

Cycling(going to & from wet/dry) either too much or improperly is the most common reason. I.E. it's sitting wet too long, or it got too hot and then used wet, then too hot and dry again, etc.

Either that or the stone is just defective.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:14 am 

What burkecutlery says about conditions is applicable to all stones, including the finest synthetic stones like the Shapton Pro series or even Japanese natural stones.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

"So can someone please educate me on what I did here that may have caused this. :? "

Additionally drying a stone in direct sunlight is a cause too. Magnesia based stones are more likely to have or are more sensitive to cracking.

It is good if you wish to continue using it to glue it to a base (glass, wood, etc) and lacquer the sides to keep the crack from expanding to a break. Then lap the stone and it should still work fine. Or if you are more obsessive, well then you need a new stone. If it is already on a base (I believe these are), then just lacquering the sides should help.

Let's see what Mark says and if you want me to lacquer it, just pay shipping and I'll do it 'on the house' for you. Can't guarantee it will solve the problem, but it probably will.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:19 pm 

How do you store it?

After it has dried I store it in the original box in my clothes closet.

Cycling(going to & from wet/dry) either too much or improperly is the most common reason. I.E. it's sitting wet too long, or it got too hot and then used wet, then too hot and dry again, etc.

Either that or the stone is just defective.

Regarding the cycling. Recently I used the stone and I usually I place it in my window sill and let it dry. However my wife complained that the stone had been their too often. So I put it in the garage with the other stones I used on my work bench along with the Imanishi 4K and 10k. Now I live in Vegas so that means the stone were likely subject to 80-90 degree heat.

A weekend later I took them inside and set them in water to sharpen the razor I mentioned. Is it possible that the heat then the water caused the cracking? You mentioned "improperly" cycling. Can you please educate me on proper cycling?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:44 pm 

Here lies the problem,

"After it has dried I store it in the original box in my clothes closet."

The box holds moisture and does not allow proper drying.

My Arashiyamas have been in water for almost 2 years, no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Email or PM me BlockZen,

I'll help you out.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:12 am 

Email or PM me BlockZen,

I'll help you out.

Mark your are awesome but I bought the stone elsewhere before I knew CKTG existed.

Additionally drying a stone in direct sunlight is a cause too. Magnesia based stones are more likely to have or are more sensitive to cracking

t got too hot and then used wet, then too hot and dry again, etc.

Ken and BurkeCutlery. With the information your provided I am guessing it got heated in my garage and when I put it into the water, it cooled too fast and caused the cracks. The additional cracks appeared because the structure was already weakened and when I put it in the window sill later the high summer temp (105) here made contributed to the additional cracking.

At this point it would make sense that the best practice would be to allow water stones to dry gradually in low ambient temps. Significant temperature and moisture changes should be avoided.

Accept I don't understand you are saying Jason:
Here lies the problem,

"After it has dried I store it in the original box in my clothes closet."

The box holds moisture and does not allow proper drying.

I am guessing I didn't give you enough information. I always allow the stones to dry completely before boxing.

Thank you all for your help. If you have any further suggests or would like to share your stone care procedure...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]