It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: One question before clicking buy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:40 am 

Benuser wrote:One new element if you don't mind. If you're looking for edge retention, consider a larger gyuto instead of a 210mm. The contact area with the board is really small, and will need more frequent touch-ups than a 240 or 270.

Not trying to be rude but for a home user this is very irrelevant.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:02 am 

"If you're looking for edge retention, consider a larger gyuto instead of a 210mm. The contact area with the board is really small, and will need more frequent touch-ups than a 240 or 270."

...interesting. Never heard of this as an argument for larger blades.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:49 pm 

Thank you all for responding to all my crazy questions.
I bought the Kohetsu Aogami Super 210mm Gyuto today
I will try to refrain from posting a few weeks, no promises. 
It is time for me to
1. Learn how to use my knife without cutting my fingers
2. Practice on my EP with my crappy knives
3. Maybe take a knife skills class

I will be back when I am ready to buy another knife.  I suspect I will love my first j knife and will be bugging everyone about what petty to get in the near future. Thank you for passing on your knife addiction to me.  Who would have thought it could take me 2 plus months to decide what knife to buy.

Happy holidays

El

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:51 pm 

You do know you will be required to return and let us know how you like it, right? ;)

Enjoy the new knife! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:28 pm 

Good luck with the "using my knife without cutting my fingers" bit. The edges on my knives get so sharp I end up wondering how I cut myself - the slightest blade contact and, well, they are designed to cut. All my fingers are still attached, at least. :roll: No blade is really yours until it has tasted your blood. :shock: Check out how many Band-Aids show up in all the demo videos.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:14 am 

Welcome to the Kohetsu club. I have a 240 and enjoy it very much. Spending 50-75$ will not get you more of a knife at the price point of the Kohetsu. For the extra 50-75$ you would basically be paying for a slightly different overall blade grind and a possibly a more visually appealing handle.

Subtle differences in blade geometry and profile can be worth the expense to many, but unless you need a taller blade height the Koetshu will provide great cutting power. If you google Aogami Super Stainless Clad you aren't going to find many knives. Finding one under 200 is not easy.

Keep the tips of your fingers arched properly and you wont get cut often. A sharper knife is less likely to cause injury. I would suggest making potato chips with the Kohetsu. It can cut em nice and thin.

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2