It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Beginner, Starting from the Groud, Up
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Crispy - for tasks where you're worried about the welfare of your good knives, just get yourself a used Euro chef knife if you don't already have one. Depending on where you are, local thrift stores might be an option. Another option is something like this: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fofi10chkn.html. It's a good knife that's pretty forgiving.

I keep our old Henckels 8" chef and the above 10" Forschner around for just those purposes - oh, and for letting other people use that will never touch my J-Knives ;-).

Post subject: Re: Beginner, Starting from the Groud, Up
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:45 am 

I like the list, no changes just some thoughts.

I can feel the deadness in blades and I still think cladding contributes adversely, but it is only one of a number of considerations. Weight, handle, grind, etc, etc. Chasing a feeling based on cladding won't guarantee you like the feel, look for design features that appeal to you and your needs, then get that...

I wouldn't panic too much about sharpening. It is hard to screw up too badly. Practicing over time will wear the blade down faster, but since a blade will last a lifetime...you do the math...slightly faster over a lifetime, not likely to amount to a huge different. Time with some cheapo stuff will help, but I wouldn't opt out of a knife you like because it is too nice.

...on that note and because I wanna play devil's advocate. I have been through a few gyutos and still never tried a Konosuke, if you like it, and can afford it, it is a standard that other knives are measured against. I have the Kohetsu and you it is gold, but the Konos are the gold standard...just a thought.

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2