It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Documentary on sushi
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:00 pm 

For those interested in how Japanese knives are deployed by the world's best, I recommend David Gelb’s documentary, "Jiro Dreams of Sushi". It was shown on PBS' Independent Lens show here last week. It chronicles Jiro Ono, acknowledged by many to be the world's greatest sushi chef and the holder, at age 86, of three Michelin stars for a restaurant that seats 10 and is located in a subway station! Enjoy!
Tom

Post subject: Re: Documentary on sushi
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:32 pm 

That's sounds great...I used to loathe fish and still don't care for it all that much. I was an ignorant buffoon who thought sushi chefs are overpaid for just slicing some stuff and not cooking it.

Now I have a much greater appreciation of Sushi chefs. It's truly an intimate culinary art and blades are such an integral part of Sushi that is so amazing to see in action.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:29 pm 

Good find!

I think it is available for streaming on Netflix. I saw it about 4 months ago. I thought it was a beautiful documentary, if a tad slow. I do recommend!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah we went to see it in the theater and then I re-watched it on netflix last month. It is a little slow but it's a cool movie. I'm so fckd up I kept trying to see what kind of knives they were using. It really distracted me from watching the movie....lol

I would LOVE to eat there in May when I go to Tokyo for a few days. But it's outrageously expensive. I still might do it. It's a business expense. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:13 am 

I agree with umberto on the not a big fan of fish front, however it is super fun to cook. When i saw it in the theater, all I wanted to do was make some fish.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:30 am 

chefknivestogo wrote:I would LOVE to eat there in May when I go to Tokyo for a few days. But it's outrageously expensive. I still might do it. It's a business expense. :)

Awesome, you should definitely go when you're there. You absolutely need to call early to make reservations though. We weren't able to get a reservation at the father's Sukiyabashi Jiro location so we went to his son's Sukiyabashi Jiro - Roppongi Hills branch instead.
Not the best knife pic, but it's one of the few we managed to get between eating one of the most expensive meals of our life :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:50 pm 

if you are alone and speak Japanese with a slight accent, you won't be served. You can have a local arrange and act as a chaperone for you and you'll be OK, if you book it now. He is booked 5-8 months in advance, like a nice camp site in San Diego area..

here is a good visual summary:

http://youtu.be/asH4jhr8E20

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]