It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:50 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: First Gyuto with only German experience
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:18 pm 

Looking for a stainless 240 Gyuto for under $100. Mark has so many new knives I wanted to see if there was something that will work that I may have not seen.

Post subject: Re: First Gyuto with only German experience
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hi Troy,

Are you looking for Wa or Western handled knives?

Also, what do you already have?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:31 pm 

Actually for a friend who has a Wustoff set and doesn't know how to sharpen (yet). Not sure on which handle he prefers, but I am fairly sure he is open to either.

Now that I have re-searched Mark's site I have found the

Richmond Artifax, Fujiwara FKM and Tojiro; so any suggestions beyond those three would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Troy, those are still the 3 best for under $100. The Fujiwara FKM and Tojiro DP will be thinner at the edge with better performance out of the box than the Artifex. There are numerous thread/discussions about this. The Artifex has the best steel, but really comes to life after thinning behind the edge.

The Fujiwara is a bit lighter than the Tojiro as well. That being said, I love my Tojiro DP 210 - it's a great blade!

The Kaneshige 240 stainless Wa Gyuto is nice as well: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kast24wa.html. Check out my Quick Look video on the product page and also the review I wrote as well: kaneshige-stainless-240mm-wa-gyuto-t4338.html.

The Kaneshige is a little thicker at the edge than the FKM or DP and also benefits from some thinning behind the edge and a re-bevel. It's OOS at the moment though.

Beyond these, you'll need to bump up substantially in price for a stainless 240.

I'll tell you - after handling over 90 different CKTG knives between doing the Quick Look videos and using my personal collection, the Fujiwara FKM and Tojiro DP are just crazy good OOTB performers for the money. The Artifex is right there with better steel, but OOTB performance still goes to the first two IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:04 pm 

Exactly what I was looking for . . . Thanks Steve!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:06 pm 

I'm still really liking my Tojiro DP. It was great OOTB and very sharp. If he is coming from German knives he will be blown away. lol

Now if he is willing to learn how to sharpen and thin the blade just behind the cutting edge of the Artifex, the AEB-L steel is supposed to be superb from all that I have read. I still want to get an AEB-L knife though just to find out for myself. lol

But yeah, out of the box with no work required I can say that the Tojiro DP is definitely a nice option from first hand experience and will be a big step up from the thicker German blades.

I'm also tempted to get a Fujiwara FKM someday just to be able to compare it to my Tojiro... lol It's a sickness, really... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Def - save for that Goko instead ;-). Those two are too close to spend the money to find out the difference :-).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:43 pm 

SteveG wrote:Def - save for that Goko instead ;-). Those two are too close to spend the money to find out the difference :-).

lol, if I did it would be AFTER the Goko (most likely both Gokos since Mark is getting a new one) and probably a few other knives. ;)

I mean, I'll need a Sujihiki and a breadknife eventually... and a paring knife... and a petty... maybe some more gyutos and santokus... lol :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey Troy, you might want to check this one out as well: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/goko.html. We don't know any specs yet, but it sounds pretty darn nice for $99 :-).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:49 pm 

For that price that is exactly what I'd be buying! Wow what a deal! last thing I need is another 240 but I'm not sure I will be able to resist. I hope they sell out fast!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next