It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:49 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: What size Mac Pro Chef knife should I get?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I have done a lot of research on buying a new chef's knife and have decided on a MAC Pro. I am a beginner home cook with evolving knife skills but still a novice. What I can't decide on is the size. Given my skills and usage, would I be better off with the 8.5" or should I go ahead and get the 9.5"? Through my reading, it would seem best to go ahead and get the larger one but would appreciate any advice you could give.

In my order I am going to get the 1k/6k combo stone and a MAC bread knife as well.

Thanks,
Chris

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What size Mac Pro Chef knife should I get?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:01 am 
Site Admin

In general most home users tend to like the smaller one and most pros tend to like a larger chef knife.

Most of the guys on the forum I call "enthusiasts" and they usually like the larger one.

Personally I use the 9.5 inch but it took me some time to get used to the larger size (this was years ago).

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:43 am 

You should do like the rest of us and buy several of each size in different brands and then you will always be able to find one you like! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:30 am 

I think Mark would call me an Enthusiast :roll:

9.5"

My first knife from CKTG was a 180mm Mac santoku. My second was a 240mm gyuto. I still have the santoku...and 7 240mm gyutos :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:06 am 

Thanks everyone. 7 240mm chef knives?? Wow, definitely an enthusiast! Very impressive.

Sounds like the 9.5 is the one for me. I've done a lot of reading and it seems like a MAC Pro is a good choice. Any other recommendations that I might be overlooking in terms of a good all-arounder?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:34 am 

personally, it depends on where you're gonna use the knife.

if it's for prepping, definitely the 240mm.

but for a line knife, i would go for a 210mm petty, like a hiromoto ginsanko petty

=D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:54 pm 

Well, I'm a home cook, not a professional that will be doing a ton of prep. I do want a high quality knife that I can use for years. I will sharpen it myself. I have a 6" Wustoff Classic Santoku but I don't like the profile and lack of point (bought it years ago). So tentatively decided on the MAC but not married to it. Others I have considered are Masamoto, Kikuichi, and Hiromoto. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:03 pm 

Usual suspects for entry level are the Tojiro DP, Fujiwara FKM, and Richmond Artifex. There have been some recent additions to the site that may offer more at the same price, but I don't know as much about them...I try to post some of those thoughts later...I am headed out the door at the moment.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmgy24.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpchkn24.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar24gy.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:04 pm 

clewlor wrote:....Others I have considered are Masamoto, Kikuichi, and Hiromoto. Any help would be appreciated.

I would buy any one of these before the Mac. All three makers make great knives that you will keep for a lifetime. A Mac, eh.......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:53 am 

Not familiar with these guys, but some other thoughts you may look at:

Kaneshige: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kast24wa.html; Japanese handled, good value for the money, thinner grind than most you are looking at, new to site
Tanaka Ginsan: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tagigy24.html; Japanese handled, mid weight, new to site, visit this thread for some additional information: tanaka-ginsan-handles-t4422.html?hilit=tanaka%20ginsan&start=10
Suisin Inox: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suisingyuto1.html; Western handled, very thin grind

Page 1 of 4 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next