It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nakiris with carbon steel blades.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:53 pm 

Ah, that might be why I didn't really notice any steering. I push cut and rock, not chop. The slower motions might not exhibit any (or as much) "glancing" for lack of better term. I could see that being a bigger issue if I were a faster cutter though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:42 am 

SteveG wrote:On the Goko, only the edge will patina, as it's exposed carbon steel. It's a cool look, though. The handle has easily removable stickers, but the ferrule is plastic, not buffalo horn or anything like that. I thought the handle was comfortable - the Chestnut feels good. If you pinch grip, the handles honestly don't enter into the ergonomic equation that much, unless they are grossly under/oversized (not common) or very heavy (like Ebony and such) and affect the balance point.

So question with the Goko...

Is it about 55mm tall or 51?

And is it 4.8 ounces or 5.3?

In your video you said 55(or 56, I cannot remember now) and 5.3 ounces but on the site it says 51.66 and 4.8oz.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:51 am 

SteveG wrote:I wanted to add a personal observation as some food for thought:

If you're not going to be a knife collector and your plan is to assemble a small, but high performance set of knives to use and enjoy for years to come, then consider carefully what adding $30-40 or so to your budget could allow in return. I'm not saying "buy the Goko", but do assess your needs and wants and think long term. I would apply this analysis to other knives you might consider in the future.

If your plan is to start with a more entry-level Nakiri (or other type) to discover more about your likes/dislikes as you gain experience, and purchase a much nicer knife later, then IMO that is a sensible plan as well.

So I've been thinking about this more and had been thinking along similar lines before you posted this and this combined with winning 2 FFL's and doing well at online poker recently lol, I am going to jump up into the mid-priced Nakiri's.

So there were a few I wanted to ask about. Mainly on which of them you prefer or a full ranking of all of them and some brief thoughts if you've used them, or anyone else who reads this post who has experience with them:

Goko
Moritaka
Masakage Mizu
Richmond Hamon Blue #1
Yoshimune
Anryu
Katsushige Anryu Kurouchi Suminagashi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey Dave,

On the Goko video, those are the measurements I took of that particular knife. You'll have some variation between examples. My scale is very accurate and I use digital calipers for the dimension measurements. Mark inputs tons of knife data and occasionally I've found some anomalies on product pages.

Between all those Nakiri's you listed, I'd put the Goko and Anyru Suminagashi as the best values. The really are nice performers for the money. Between those two, decide if you want a taller stainless clad knife with an OK handle (Goko) or medium height Kurouchi knife w/a really nice handle (Anryu).

I haven't had any of the others in hand, but the Masakage Mizu is very tall at 59mm - very similar shape to the other Masakage's. Do you want a really tall Nakiri?

The Moritaka's are very nice blades, although it's one of only a few Nakiri's with a more squared off tip vs. the rounded tip of most Nakiri's. Some like it, some don't.

The Anyu Hammered Nakiri is really nice, with a super nice handle but OOS at the moment.

The Richmond Hamon is going to be thicker than the others - it's that style of blade.

The Yoshimune looks nice, but the handle does have a plastic ferrule, if that's an issue for you.

My personal pick from the higher priced ones you listed would be the Anyru Hammered Nakiri, then probably the Moritaka. If you are interested in a tall Nakiri, then the Mizu might fit you the best.

I'm also going to stick the Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Nakiri back into the mix. If you don't mind a fully reactive blade, it's a great performer for the money as well. It's only about 49mm tall if that makes a difference.

Keep in mind, I'd have no qualms at all about having the Goko, Anryu Suminagashi, or Tanaka Sekiso in my kitchen. The knife that calls to me, though, is the Anyru Hammered with the semi custom handle :-).

I hope this helps. It's a tough decision between some nice knives.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:41 pm 

Yes thanks that helps a lot.

Yeah, I'm not too big on a really tall Nakiri. I mean it's not necessarily a total deal breaker, but with having so much trouble deciding between those 7, it's an easy way to knock a couple off the list.

I was leaning towards the Moritaka as well, but am undecided how I feel about the squared blade.

They're really all super nice though haha, it's a hard decision.

That hand hammered one is really nice as though.

Truly love the look on the Yoshimune TBH, I just wish a few people had some solid use with it to comment on it.

I had already taken the Mizu out of the mix because of the height.

Then I knocked the Richmond off the list because it's heavier and chunkier then I was looking for and I have my heart set on the Aogami Super Laser with the Bubinga handle in the future and want my collection to have some more variety. I know those knives are two different steels and what not, but I also already own another Richmond as well.

Next the Goko is being taken out of consideration because of blade height.

So I'm left with the following I'm going to choose from:

Yoshimune
Anryu
Katsushige Anryu Kurouchi Suminagashi
Moritaka

I was looking at the Tanaka Sekiso as well but I prefer a darker handle and yeah I know the Moritaka has a light handle as well haha, but I liked the look of it a little better.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:55 pm 

So I've taken the Katushige Anryu Kurouchi Suminagashi out of the mix.

Leaning heavily towards the Moritka, but still might wait on the Anryu to come back in stock. Trying to decide by tomorrow night.

Still giving some thought to the Yoshimune cause I love the blade pattern, but it's mainly a 2 dog race between the 2 blue steel blades at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:14 pm 

Hey so what about this knife?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shkuna18.html

Is this supposed to be back in stock any time soon?

And is that 180mm or 165mm? It has two different descriptions on the page.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Shigs are supposed to be awesome, but may take a long time to restock due to the high demand.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:38 pm 

Is there any time frame for when that one will be back in stock?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:50 am 
Forum Moderator

With knives from Japan, the time frames vary and change constantly. CKTG has over 600 blades on order from Kono alone, along with numerous other brands. The factories get rush orders, delays in other ends of things, shipping delays, etc. It's hard to give an exact time frame of when something will arrive back in stock. Even if it's been shipped, there can be delays in US Customs, etc. Best thing to go is to put your email in the notification box, that way when they arrive, you get an email that it is in stock!

Page 3 of 5 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next