It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which EP is right for me?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:00 am 

I am lost in the work that is sharpening devices. I have plenty experience sharpening my convex edge knives on my strops, and can maintain some of my v edge knives on the strops too, but some knives have gone too far and need more love than a strop can provide. I mainly want to sharpen for myself and maybe a few friends, small EDC type knives (and of course the wives kitchen knives) Was debating between the Apex 4 set and the shapton stones EP. Reading a few posts on lapping stones, flat stones, not so flat, this brand, that brand etc....has made it very confusing and overwhelming to be quite honest. Originally I had thought of just get 3 or 4 large flat stones and learning how to freehand sharpen (and still considering) but just wondering which is actually more work to maintain? IS there a learning curve in that getting the better stones will just not really benefit me or my knives initially? Will the stock stones get a blade scary sharp, I am not looking for hair whittling sharp (just yet) but like it when my knives can easily S cut thin paper with little effort on my part. Open to any direction on this venture. Just wonder if to spend that extra hundred now or just get APEX4 and get the shapton stones later? And how long or how many knives do these stones last for approximately (on an average sharpening cycle I guess you can call it)? What other surprise items should I look for to add to total start up expense?(ie I have read about lapping stones, angle cubes etc..) Figure having over 500 hundred knives it is time to get a good sharpening system lol

Cheers
G

Post subject: Re: Which EP is right for me?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

G - for you I would recommend getting the Edge Pro Essentials Set: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edproesset.html. The Shapton Glass stones are awesome on the Edge Pro!

You might want to add the following items:

The Angle Cube: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/anglecube.html. This is great for accurate measurements and logging/repeatability of your sharpening angles.

The DMT 2x6 diamond plate: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmt2x6diplfo.html. It's got a different grit on each side and is the perfect size for flattening EP stones (which you'll need to do).

If you have knives that are dull and need a fair amount of metal removal to cut a new bevel, then think about a lower grit stone. The Shapton Glass 220 for the EP: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shglst220grf.html would be a good one. It'll save a lot of wear and tear on your 500 stone.

The above would be a killer setup IMO.

Regarding stone life, it depends on how much grinding you need to do on each knife, what kinds of steel, how much pressure you use, etc. Lots of variables there. Lower grits stones wear more quickly than higher grit stones. It's just the nature of the more coarse substrate on those stones. Your 4K stone should last a LONG time, since you'll just be refining and polishing a sharp existing bevel.

If you're trying to match the existing bevels closely (a good way to start out on the EP), then that creates less wear & tear on the stones than trying to cut new bevels at different angles, thinning blades behind the edge, etc. Use a sharpie to paint the edge and set your EP angle to a good compromise that matches the bevel on the majority of a particular blade. You'll find that a guided system like the EP will show where an existing bevel does not have a consistent angle throughout the blade. The Angle Cube will let you find out what angle is best for each knife so you can log that info and repeat it. You'll definitely need to keep a log with that many knives :-).

Do some searches through this forum for great tips on using the EP. It's a much easier learning curve than free hand sharpening. You should be able to get really sharp edges after just a bit of practice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:13 pm 

I second everything SteveG said.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:46 am 

I third what Steve said, good kit just add to it as you go along

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:50 am 

Thanks, will look into that. And I don't use all 500 LOL many will never even see paper. But my users do need a touch up and tired of paying at Bass Pro for them to sharpen my knives.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:52 am 

Makes sense, they should give you a commision cuz ordering in the next few minutes LOL gonna get a lower grit stone too like you mentioned just in case I get CRAZY and decide to reprofile a knife LOL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:54 am 

One last question, will upto 4K stone give me any mirror finish? I know this will turn into an addiction, but if going upto 6K will make a HUGE difference in sharpness and polish might just bite the bullet now LOL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:55 am 
Forum Moderator

Skip the 6k & get the 8k instead - big difference in shine & sharpness.....

:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:12 pm 

Thanks!! OK so will order in next day or so, hopefully finances will let me order everything at once. Next I hope you guys will be as friendly and helpful when I set it up and stare at it LOL Plenty of info here and youtube I have seen, so hopefully can put the steps together.

Cheers
G

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]