It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:12 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Newbie looking for a new 240
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:43 am 

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new 240 gyuto and am having a hard time figuring out where to start. I am new to the "great" knife world. I recently got the 180 tojiro dp and really like it, but am in need of something larger with a bit of weight to it.

I'm right handed and carbon or stainless would be fine. I'm looking in the $200 range. I've been working on sharpening and have gotten somewhat decent at it. Also becoming partial to and offset angle.

I would be using it as kind of a workhorse, mostly veg prep and other miscellaneous restaurant line needs. So edge retention is rather crucial.

Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for a new 240
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:52 am 

Richmond Aogamie Super Laser: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu24gy1.html

Thin knife with arguably one of the best carbon steels around. The blade is clad in stainless so only the edge will patina or need to be worried about.

Kohetsu 240mm gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu24gy.html

Another Richmond line with a thin blade and the same Aogami Super steel found in the AS Laser. Also stainless clad. I think Mr Knife Fanatic said it seemed more like a laser than the AS Laser, so I'm guessing it might have a better grind. I know someone else here could tell you for sure. lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:56 am 
Forum Moderator

The Kohetsu is thinner and lighter overall compared to the AS Laser. The AS Laser is thicker at the spine out of the handle, and thinner behind the edge. The grinds are nice on each one, but different in how they are ground.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:47 pm 

The Hiromoto AS has a little more heft than a laser and is a great workhorse knife with good edge retention: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/higykn24.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:01 pm 

+1 for the Hiromoto. Carbon edge, stainless cladding, easy to sharpen, easy to maintain, more weight than the Laser or Kohetsu.

Ganouche,

Do you want more weight, proportional to the length, than the DP? Do you prefer the weight be forward of the handle or neutrally balanced at the bolster/choil? Since a 240mm will typically outweigh a 180mm, it is hard to make a recommendation unless you want a specifically heavier knife in addition to the weight inherent to the additional length. Similarly, a Japanese styled handle will reduce the overall weight of the knife, but will move the balance point toward the blade make it better for chopping etc. A western style handle will be heavier, but with the balance point further back, it may not feel heavier in use.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]