It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke HD questions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mr. Richmond,
I hope i will not be disturbing your Christmas holidays by sending you this e-mail with an enquiry about two knives I would like to order.

I am a home cook with passion for knives and am looking for my first laser. I did my homework and spend about a half a year reading knife forums, of which Cheftalk and BDL's posts were by far the most useful (the man is some resource, hats off), and finally I am ready to buy the two knives I think I definitely want to use in my kitchen. They are:

- Konosuke HD2 Wa-Gyuto Ho 240mm
- Konosuke HD2 Wa Petty 120mm

Now, I have been watching your site for quite a while and while the Gyuto went out of stock for some time but came back recently, the Petty is nowhere to be seen, still. Is it ever going to be on stock again, ideally at the same time as the Gyuto? I come from the Czech Republic, Europe, (a frind of mine has recently bought a Konosuke HD2 Gyuto from you) and obviously the height of the shipping cost is pushing me towards a singular purchase. Any signs of the Petty coming back to stock?

Also, I have another question about the Funayuki/Gyuto blade. I noticed these are slightly flatter and possibly thinner than the standard Gyutos. Is there a significant difference in cutting technique required or does one allow for different cutting than the other? For a moment back in time I was inclined to buy the Funayuki but then, after reading some more, I thought I would stick with the standard profile (besides, the Funayuki is consistently out of stock anyway). Still, asking doesn't hurt, so if you were willing to shed a little light on the two profiles, I would love that.

Last question about shipping: I will be in San Francisco/Monterey area for a week in January, switching between hotels a little bit: 2 nights in SF, 3 nights in Monterey, 3 nights again in SF, then fly home. Do you think you could arrange for such a shipping that would reach me within one of those 3 days long windows? That's when my address and room number would be stable. Or is it too short a window for reliable delivery? I would hate the knife/knives to arrive after my departure from the hotel. Or, if I gave you a hotel address without a room number in advance, would you be able to send it there so that the parcel would await me at the reception?
Also, a colleague from work who I will be meeting in Monterey is from Madison. Chances are he could bring the knife over if you shipped to him (I will not ask him to collect the knife in person in your shop - I don't even know if you have a shop there or you only ship from home. That's also an option but I need to run it by him: not sure how comfortable he is with flying with a large knife :) If he agreed, that could be the cheapest and safest way to do it.

Thank you so much!
Jiri

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Konosuke HD questions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jiri,

There is not a signifigent difference between the two. If you're a pro you might prefer one over the other but most people don't find there is a big difference. Best to get the standard one and save the money.

Yes you can put a note in the comments box with your hotel dates and we'll make it arrive during your stay.

We will get more of the 120 petty but it's been taking them a long time to do them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:35 pm 

Hi Mark,
Thanks for responding so fast!

Any chance you will have the 120 petty ready for shipping by about January 11th? I will be in the US from 11th to 19th Jan.
Given the free in-USA shipping, I could even buy the gyuto only (together with some stones) and have that delivered to San Francisco/Monterey and simply wait a bit more for the petty. Still, would prefer the all-in-one purchase.

The rest has been answered, thanks!
Jiri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

I doubt it but we do have the identical knife available in white #2 carbon steel and I would recommend you try it. They're excellent knives:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ko120wh2pe.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]