It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:04 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a honesuki/ boning knife
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:53 am 

I am back for more :)

This time I'm looking for recommendations on a honesuki or boning knife, as I cannot stand the cheapy mercer one I'm stuck with from what's left of my school kit. :lol:

I am right handed
Prefer western handles but wouldn't mind trying out a wa style
Have only worked with 50/50 knives, have no experience with asymmetrical edges
I haven't owned a carbon steel blade but always take care of my knives
And I am learning to freehand sharpen.

Thanks for the help!

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
9" New West Knife Works Chef's
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto
150mm Masakage Yuki Honesuki
8 and 10" Wusthof Classics
Crappy Mercer culinary school knives

Post subject: Re: Looking for a honesuki/ boning knife
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:01 am 
Forum Moderator

7892 <> We need to know what you are processing.?! A Honesuki is purpose built for birds, and although some use them as a petty or to butcher meats, I'm not too fond of them on anything beyond a bird.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:11 am 

A few birds, mostly beef tenders and other meats.

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
9" New West Knife Works Chef's
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto
150mm Masakage Yuki Honesuki
8 and 10" Wusthof Classics
Crappy Mercer culinary school knives

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:07 pm 

If you were butchering mostly chickens I would recommend a honesuki. Since you are doing mostly loins and other meats I would recommend a stiff boning knife. Another helpful piece of info is how much do you intend to spend.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

7892 <> DAMNIT! :evil: I sent a long reply last night, but lost into cyber abyss, it went. This site's server sucked for me last night; my connection was a steady 18mbps.

I prefer the Gokujo as a general boning knife. I own the Tojiro<--link though I find the tip needs profiling. If I were to buy another, I would buy the Shun<--link.

Honesukis are CRAZY TASK SPECIFIC, IMO. Don't get me wrong, there ARE those that use them as pettys & to process meat, but I am absolutely not one of them as I find them inappropriate for alternate tasks. The angle of the blade's edge as to the handle is just strange in other applications, for me... ESPECIALLY as a petty. It's VERY good with birds, but in a hyper precise kinda way. It's analogous to the Nakiri:Gyuto issue. I can do anything with a Gyuto as efficiently as I can do with a Nakiri, but the converse just can not be claimed. Same with a Honesuki:Gokujo/Hankotsu; I can do anything with a Gokujo as efficiently (& I'll lay money even more efficiently with a Hankotsu) as I can do with a Honesuki, but the converse just can not be claimed.

That said, I just received my first ever Hankotsu<--link which I anticipate to be the absolute bridge between the decisive incision power of a single-bevel, as most Honesuki are, and the versatility of a curved boning knife. I have yet to put an edge on her, and I will add that I was curiously surprised by how it came. It has an edge on the tip half of the blade, but NOTHING on the heel half. I have no problem with no edge at all; rather, I prefer it, but half an edge... :? Very strange.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:07 pm 

I was looking at that hankotsu last night on the site. It looked like it only had a sharpened edge starting about halfway up, I guess you just confirmed that. lol

I figured it was built like that for hard core shallow tip work as is shown in the vid where he's boning the NY strip. I'm guessing you could pull the edge back a bit if needed with stones for a little more versatility, but it looks like a very functional as a boning knife as is. Plus the tip looks like it would be awesome. lol The Misono hankotsu looks to have a longer edge with the blunt heel (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/misono6.html) and the Kikuichi Elite seems to be sharpened to the bolster (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kielcaha15.html) but man it's spendy. lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm 

Mel is right on point. I agree with everything he said there. I think that's what your looking for. I don't have personal experience with those specific knives, but for dual purpose, pretty sure that's what you'll need.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:58 pm 

Perhaps the blunt heel could be meant for scraping bones?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]