It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:35 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: A sad tale of a masakage neglected.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:10 pm 

So, I had to share this with people who would understand, no one in my kitchen seemed to care. I recently picked up a masakage koishi 210 gyuto and am absolutely loving it. I use it every day at work, And the other day my boss comes up to me to show off her masakage yuki petty she bought around the same time. She had yet to bring it in as she thought it was to nice to use at work. When i pull the knife out of the box the edge is starting to develope some pretty rusty areas. I mention those to her as, I assume this is new to her. and she would want to know. Her response is that she noticed it already. She starts putting it away, so i offer to clean the rust off for her. She then tells me it doesn't bother her and it cuts fine anyway and storms of in a huff. I feel bad for such a fine knife. I wish there was some sort of knife protective services i could call.

Post subject: Re: A sad tale of a masakage neglected.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Protective services... hahahahah

I see people driving $70,000 cars all the time and they look like they've never been washed.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:58 pm 

Tell me about it. I hate seeing stuff like that. But what are you gonna do. Try to educate them and sometimes you get a negative response.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:06 am 

Regardless of cutting performance, you'd think people wouldn't want rust in their food... lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:13 am 
Forum Moderator

BBC <> I see it two ways:

:idea:

1) You can coddle her into a lesson; being persistent with examples of your own knife before & after sharpening, demonstrating a cleaning on your own, showing/explaining patina development, etc. You can offer bits of knowledge, passively, as she sounds too egotistical to take instruction from a subordinate, and ease into the opportunity of not only cleaning her knife but really solidifying a personal bond with her.

2) Screw her, and let her knife pit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:19 am 

You don't want to see my knives nor how I store or care for them. You would be aghast.
But they do still work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

@ Melampus

If choice 1 doesn't seem possible (ego issues) I'll list choice 1.5 . Simply lead by example. If she eventually 'gets it' seeing her messed up knife vs yours - great. If not go to choice #2 :)

While I hate to see a knife abused, it's good for business :) Especially when I put the effort into doing a knife and it gets trashed, a part of me is disappointed.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]