It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Adding another knife- kohetsu/hiro
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:31 am 

I'm itching to get another knife- 1 ill actually use everyday to prep. I've got a few... A kono #1, a laser AS and some stainless guys. I was looking at 3 in particular- the kohetsu 240, Hiromoto 240 and the new Richmond kono addict they just got in. Does anyone know abt that semi stainless steel? And my question w the 2 AS's was about the grinds- the hiro sounds a good bit thinner at 240 which is surprising because everyone talks about the 210 kohetsu being so laser like. Is the grind on the 240 that much different? The kohetsu is also advertised as harder. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Adding another knife- kohetsu/hiro
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi emalsky,

The SLD steel is not very common yet but you will see more knives with it next year from us. It's really good stuff but I would consider it a small step down from AS steel that you find in the other two. The blacksmith that did these knives is very good and the grinds are typical of what you would find in the Konosuke HDs. THey've been very popular so far. Just note the profile is tall and some really like this and some don't.

The Kohetsu is a better knife than the Hiromoto in almost all respects. Better heat treatment is really what sets it apart. Hiromoto did their own heat treatment of their knives and they didn't have the capabilities that my steel mill has and that's why they don't get the HRC up as high. They're still good knives for the money but I would take the Kohetsu over them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:01 pm 

I was looking at the Kohetsu and Hiromoto about 2 weeks ago and based upon the advice I got on the forum chose the 240 Kohetsu. This knife is amazing. Light, super sharp OOB feels good and we'll made. To put it in perspective I had a friend over last night and she is a really good home cook but uses German knives. I said try this Kohetsu out. She literally spent the next half hour amazing herself at how paper thin she could cut apples, carrots, etc. When the 210 is back in stock she is going to buy one.

I can't speak to the knife I didn't buy but you won't be disappointed with the Kohetsu.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:39 am 

I live tall knives- I was waiting for that Kono extra tall HD to get back in stock forever. But I wouldn't choose a cheaper steal for a tall profile. I figured the kohetsu was better made. Any other everyday knives in that ~ $200 range that come to mind?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:01 am 

I too had been waiting out the extra tall hd. I've had to recalibrate my desires for a new step up gyuto.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]