It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:57 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Can't feel a burr - what am I doing wrong?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:20 am 

You may want to get yourself one of these http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshgu.html. I use them once in a while when my technique gets out of whack. Forget about specific angles. Over the years I've found this to be counter productive. Pick a spot and stick to it. Whichever hand your holding the knife in keep your elbow perpendicular to your wrist. This will keep your angle more consistent. I get lazy about that more often that I would like. Soon the light bulb will come on and you'll be on your way to consistent edges. Keep at it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:12 pm 

I am going to have to recommend that you don't get anything that assists your stroke angle (yea i said stroke :)). Get rid of the cardboard and use the sharpie trick. The key to sharpening consistently is to develop muscle memory. Keep practicing with the 500 and using the not-so-good knives, you will get there!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:27 pm 

I've been thinking about this exact topic for a little while for a sharpening video I'm going to do. How do you tell a beginner how to detect a burr if they have never felt, seen, or otherwise detected one? Ken's basic idea seems to be the best one: Generate a GIANT burr on something you don't care anything about; that way it's obvious.

When I taught a sharpening class a few years ago I had one of the more energetic students take an old machete blade outside to the sidewalk and "sharpen" one side until he got a burr. It make a very obvious burr that just about anyone could detect. It stopped fingernail as it was dragged down the body of the blade towards the edge.

In fact that fingernail technique has become my go to technique when using coarse stones: Slide your thumbnail down the body of the blade *towards* the edge, as if your nail should slip harmlessly off the edge. On spots of the edge that have no burr, your fingernail *will* slide off. But when you generate a big-ish burr, your fingernail will catch on it and stop. The first time I felt this it was amazing. On some blades (usually VERY dull ones) I have a hard time feeling the burr with just my finger pads. I think, "Well, that feels kinda sticky, draggy, sharpish, but is it a burr? Maybe this steel just doesn't form burrs that you can feel." When I think this, it almost always means I simply have not ground off enough metal to form a burr. If I keep going, I always get one. I have yet to find a blade that I can't generate a burr that I can feel with my thumbnail drag test, at least when using a coarse stone, which is the most important in my opinion.

With that in mind, how about a $1 knife from the dollar store, thrift store, etc and some sidewalk sharpening time? :) I'm actually serious. If you do this, you're pretty much guaranteed to form a big, nasty, easy to detect burr. Use the thumbnail test. Use the finger pads test. Use the paper towel test. Once you're sure you've got a burr, then you'll be able to use these tests to see what a burr actually feels and looks like. Good luck.

Brian.

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2