It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Atifex Grind
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:57 pm 

I was truely disappointed when I bought my Atifex. It wedged like crazy but after a couple of thinning sessions it has become a very good knife. If it was not for the added work OOTB I probably would have bought one of these for each cook in my family by now, and there are many.

We all know the Artifex needs work OOTB, but with some work it can become a great cutter. It has a great steel but the grind sucks. I am curious as to why they don't have a better grind so that they don't need so much thinning to bring out it's true potential? Would it add that much more to the cost of the knife for it to be thinned behind the edge more in production? It seems like a problem easily fixed but I'm not an expert by any means and don't know the process of design, production and cost. If this knife was thinner behind the edge and a better cutter it would by far be the best value on the website.

Just trying to learn here. I don't regret the purchase but I could see how someone with no sharpening experience would.

Post subject: Re: Atifex Grind
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:33 pm 

Interesting question.

I had the same experience with this knife. I was a bit underwhelmed, but after sharpening twice on the OEM bevel I went ahead and dropped it to about 12°-15° and eased the shoulder, WOW, different knife.

I purchased the Artifex as part of my early experimentation in J-knives, along side the Tojiro DP and Fujiwara FKH. At first the Artifex performed below the other two, but now that it is thinned out a bit, it is the best performer of the three.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:39 pm 

Maybe it is because of the capabilities at the Lamson and Goodnow factory? Of course it could be related to the cost of manufacturing as well given the extra time it might take to thin the blade... it is definitely an interesting question though. lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:00 pm 

I'm no expert either............just like good cutting knives.

Having said that , I do like the Artifex.

The literature states "...I designed the knife specifically for people in the food service industry that need a great blade that is tough, versatile and uses world class steel."

The people who frequent this site are pretty anal about knives (putting it mildly) and an effect of this is that they treat their
knives carefully.

For a kitchen line worker in the chaos of a rush who either can't keep changing knives or can't afford a #200-$300 knife
to beat to death or for an average home cook who doesn't have our knife disease , I think this is a great value.

Yes it does wedge in thick veggies using the same light pressure as I use with my thin Moritaka's, Tanaka's ect. but it can get the job done when I put it to work [i]and[i] it doesn't care about chicken bones :) that might chip up even the thin AS's.

I've given some of these as gifts and will continue to do so. The recipients all think that they're great knives....no sushi chefs among them.

I'm just a home cook so if any pros out there disagree , let the beatings begin :) :)

Just my 2¢

Douglas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:05 pm 

I appreciate the thoughts Doug but it's kind of beside the point. When I bought this knife my Victorinox would out cut it by far. If I had no experience or interest in hand sharpening this knife would have spent a lot of time in a drawer and me regretting buying it. I would then be very leery of trying another J-knife. I'm sure there are a lot of home cooks in this situation.

My point in this thread is to try to find out why such a great knife is made and distributed in a manor so far below it's potential. If thinning it slightly during production added $5 to the final cost I think it would be a steal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:51 pm 

Is the extra tall artifex ground far thinner than the normal sized one? My first of this level of knives was a Fujiwara fkm. I really liked it but as I got more into sharpening I was intrigued by aebl. I bought the extra tall, and out of the box it was pretty comparable to the Fujiwara, maybe a hair thicker but barely noticeable. I sold the Fujiwara, and have since thinned it way down, really just because I had read about thinning improving performance and appreciated the practice. Now it's an amazing cutter, but it was pretty good originally. Certainly better than my victorinox, and at least even with the Fujiwara.

Is the extra tall ground completely differently or something, because I see these comments about the original a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:31 pm 

I think Douglas makes a great point. It is not a bad knife, just up against stiff competition in the J-knife world. I think the interesting point about Jeff's question is that thinning at the shoulder of the bevel moves in up a significant notch in performance. So is there a reason for not doing so? I think Jeff's post may seem harsh, but it illustrates an interesting question about the design.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:40 am 

Jeff;

Yes , if i twas thinner it would cut like a higher end Jknife but I think that , like the literature states, it's designed as a rugged workhorse.

With 10 minutes on the stones , the performance is upgraded. Easy stuff.

If it was thinner to begin with , it would be a lot harder to make it more rugged. I use it as beater ( sorry Mark ) and I use
a thinned 210mm M390 for the other stuff ( yeah, I beat on that one too-just not as hard ).

What i am saying is that it works the way it was designed to and can be easily thinned out. For now $75 it's less expensive than
a Henkles or Wustohf and a hell of a better knife.

Douglas not Doug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:48 am 

BTW......Having said all that , when the thinner HAP40 comes out I will be all over that puppy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Douglas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:16 am 

Richmond Artifex
The Richmond Artifex is my fourth knife and is an all-purpose chef knife/ gyuto that measures 210mm or about 8.25 inches on the blade. The name Artifex is latin for artisan or worker and I designed the knife specifically for people in the food service industry that need a great blade that is tough, versatile and uses world class steel.

This is exactly what the description says. I don't see rugged anywhere.
And before you jump up and point out "a great blade that is tough", that doesn't mean it has to be a hatchet, which is what the Artifex is OOTB, a food hatchet.
This knife could be much thinner behind the edge and still be tough.

And all this is still beside the point and still isn't answering the question as to "why" it is put out the way it is when it could be better. There are plenty of tough workhorse knives out there much thinner behind the edge. Thinner, but not laser thin, and still tough or rugged or however you want to put it. I have Henkles and Victorinox knives that I would use before an OOTB Atifex, unless I was chiseling rocks.

Sharp Knives wrote:...With 10 minutes on the stones , the performance is upgraded. Easy stuff....
Not everyone buying this knife is skilled enough to do this. If I was new in the food service industry and didn't know much about sharpening and just bought this knife, who it was designed for, I would be very disappointed.

I'm not here to debate if it's a good knife or not. If the proper work is done to it, it's a great knife. OOTB, the knife sucks.

And my apologies Douglas

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next